Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had our 7 month old Nubian dehorned Friday. I was less than pleased with how the vet did it. Now she has an 1.5 inch hole in her head that is infected and is in pain. We gave her an antibiotic and pain shot yesterday. My question is, do we need to clean out the hole? Anything else? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Dehorning is a horrible process, with a high rate of infection. It is not necessarily the vet's fault, even when done 'right' it is not a nice procedure to do. Disbudding is far more ideal, done at LESS THAN A WEEK OLD. Purchase a disbudding iron now and learn how to do so before kidding season, And/or find an experienced dairy goat raiser who is willing to show you/disbud for you come spring.

Honestly, If a doe was what I wanted, I'd buy her if I *had* to, with horns. I'd just leave them on, however. I'd breed her to the absolute best buck I could (probably via AI), and then sell her as soon as I had a superior replacement daughter out of her. I may try banding horns in that time and if successful, maybe keep her. I can't think of many reasons for me to go out and buy a new doe, let alone feel forced into buying one with horns. :p It's a little different in the boer world as it's difficult tofind a boer breeder that disbuds, so when I had boers I had a mixed herd of horned and disbudded.

I think you need a vet consult and a good antibiotic that's likely stronger than the one you can get off the shelf. Perhaps she'd benefit from a bandage of some sort, too. I'd definitely consult a vet.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
We had our 7 month old Nubian dehorned Friday. I was less than pleased with how the vet did it. Now she has an 1.5 inch hole in her head that is infected and is in pain. We gave her an antibiotic and pain shot yesterday. My question is, do we need to clean out the hole? Anything else? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
How's she doing today?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hopefully you have talked to your vet and the goat is on the mend now!

One of my bucks recently had a horn taken off in a fight with a ram and it left a big hole into his sinuses and here is all the things my vet is having me do for him.

The vet is having me flush it with peroxide, then sterile saline with gentamicin mixed in, then filled with a dry cow mastitis treatment (tomorrow maybe?), then spray the wound with alushield and fly spray twice a week for at least 3 weeks. It's a pain in the butt but the wound is healing well and hasn't gotten infected. He also said to be sure to not feed anything "over the head" until its closed over. No hay racks or anything that lean out.

Definitely talk to your vet though!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Darn. I hate it when someone comes in with a question, and then they don't come back to tell us how the goat is doing.

:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for my delay in replying. Anna is doing better after daily IM antibiotic shots. Still got a slight infection. Thank you all for your comments, it is wonderful to have a wealth of information like all of you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts