Dehdrating tomatos.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jodi, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

I am having an abundant harvest of tomatos this year. I have never tried canning, but just recenlty aquired a food dehydrator here on the barter board.

I would like to try dehyrating my excess tomatos. Aside from slicing them thin, is there anything else I need to do before putting them on the dehydrator?

And, how do you store them after they are dry? Ziplock bags or jars.

Thanks, Jodi

2. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I slice them as if I were going to put them on a sandwich and use the berry screens as they can be difficult to remove from the regular racks. I than put them in ziplock bags and put them in the freezer for a few days. After that I put them in airtight containers, if I don't have room in the freezer. I "pasturize" everything I dry in the freezer as there is never a guarantee that a little bug hasn't laid some eggs of some kind. I learned that the hard way by losing some produce the first year I dehydrated.

3. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

I dry cherry tomatoes by cutting them in half and placing skin side down/seed side up on the racks. I dry to the point they are still pliable, but not juicy--sort of soft leathery, put them in jars or freeze bags, and freeze. At this not quite dry stage they are apt to spoil, so I freeze them. They are nice on pizza or dropping into soup near the cooking completion time. Drying does change the texture and flavor--if dried to a hard consistency they have a sort of burned flavor when reconstituted. Paste tomatoes dry better than juicey tomatoes, both in flavor, time, and texture, so plant a paste cherry tomato just for drying.

4. You can run the dried tomatos thru a blender to get a powder that will save space in freezer, or if dry enough you can just store it in a tight jar -- will keep a long time this way.

5. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

the poweder thing works neat.

I used to cut them like thin orange wedges and dry em.

I didnt grow any this year as I canned so many last year I still have a ton.

6. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

After slicing we dip them in vinegar then put on the dehydrator.

7. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I dehydrate romas, I grow a lot of them. They dehydrate well because they are smaller. I usually cut mine in half and just lay them out on the screens. I do flip mine over about half way just because. i dry mine really dry..almost crisp. I then store them in 1 quart mason jars. I have had some for several years and they are still great, no problems. I dont think that you can keep them that long is you only dry them until they are pliable.
    I have ground them up too and love that too...great to add to soups, casseroles, chili, stew and just about anything.

Belinda

8. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

add onto what makettle said:

i take those tomatoes, the halves, and then cover then in olive oil for delicious sundried tomatoes. they look beautiful, the oil tastes good in other things, and they make great christmas presents.

you can also puree the tomatoes, and add some cornstarch, and dry them on fruit leather trays, and then use it for a tomato paste of sorts. i like to make tomato soup out of that stuff. you can find the exact proportions in a dehydrating book.