Degrees of separation?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Alice In TX/MO, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

As you most likely know, the classic story is that you can connect any person on the planet with any other person in six steps of who-knows-who.

For strange, karmic, cosmic reasons, our family has reduced this dramatically, but I'm curious to know if others are experiencing the same thing.

I can get from me to George W. Bush in two different directions in either two or three degrees. First, one of my husband's very good friends grew up in Midland and played on the same Little League baseball team with George W. Also, my younger son was a walk on football player at the University of Texas, and he often visited with George W. ((then governor of Texas) when they were working out in the weight room at U.T.

I can even get to Saddam Hussein in two steps. My best friend is a retired Navy Command Master Chief who spend extensive time in the Mid-East, and has on more than one occasion been at state dinners with Saddam.

I've also shaken hands with Johnny Cash at an oilfield Christmas party in Houston. My sister received an award from President Ford.

My older son's wife is partly Lebanese, and her name is on a founding contributor's plaque at St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis where my other son's child is being treated for cancer. Same daughter in law was also an extra in the movie "Second Hand Lions," which makes the connection to several movie stars, including Robert Duval. (be still, my heart!)

Is my family weird, or are others experiencing this shrinking of the world, too?

2. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I think everybody can pick out some celeb types that they have crossed paths with or been "six degrees" away from at one time or another. That still leaves an AWFUL lot left over, people wise. Maybe your family has more instances than the "average Joe".

I "almost" went on a blind date with Arnold Schwarzenneger once, but made up a lie to get out of it! LOL Does that count?

donsgal

3. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Depends on what you mean by connecting. Crossing paths with someone famous at a charity ball or having a celeb come into your workplace isn't really the same thing as sharing mutual friends or 3rd cousins.

For example, I could claim a three-step connection to Michael J. Fox because my online friend Sonya's husband worked on his camera crew in the Spin City series and he used to send her daughter birthday gifts. Does that count? Probably not. An ex boyfriend of mine worked in the studio once with Metallica. Does that make me all fuzzy inside 'cause I'm "connected" to them? Oh, I did get my picture taken with them once. I guess that makes it a first-degree connection! ;) And hey, I just remembered...about 20 years ago I was working at the McDonalds by Kings Island and Triumph came in to eat, and I got to clean up their disgustingly filthy table. Another connection!

[​IMG]

4. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Here's a weird connection, my dad was flying home from Japan(work for Boeing) and sat next to a guy who knew my sister and BIL with their work in Africa!

5. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    ps, can anybody get to Kevin Bacon? :)

6. auntielisababe

auntielisababe Well-Known Member

I went to high school with Debra Messing, my brother dated her for a short period of time. I've got the pictures to prove it.

I'm very good friends with a niece of Linda Rondstat.

I chased Billy Joel around a hotel one day when I was 13 and got his autograph too!

Lisa

7. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I shook the hand of the man who shook the hand of the Goveners trash man.

8. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Uncle Will, I'm impressed!
    Sherry

9. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*laugh* If you're truly interested in this as applied theory you might want to read the book "The Tipping Point." It looks at the "how" of how this works, its impact on our lives, and how other seemingly small and insignificant events can have consequences seemingly completely outside of their minor range.

10. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I once saw 'Tiny Tim' in the grocery store aisle, I did not approach him, there was no reason to do such. He was preforming at Disney World, why he was in the baby food aisle is not a sure thing to explore.

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Edayna,
    Yes, I do think getting your picture taken with a celeb counts. :) It's just an interesting thing to talk about, not 'warm fuzzies' or claim to fame.

There are other interesting connections, too, that have nothing to do with famous people, but I started with those. Here are a couple of the 'regular' types of odd meetings.

When my mom and I went to Ireland, we attended a play in Dublin. Turned out the people in the seats to our left were the next door neighbors of the parents of our Irish priest in very rural South Texas.

When my hubby was working for Conoco in the South China Sea, we went to Singapore to get our visas renewed. Ran into one of hubby's high school classmates, and there were only 35 people in his high school class! What are the odds that half way around the world, you'd run into one of such a small mathematical set?

12. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

Back in the day I used to be a doorman at a good rock'n roll bar in Ann Arbor,Mi. it was fun from the stand point of all the people coming & going. I met Bob Seger & wife. I hung out with Jackson Spires from Blackfoot and the rest of the band used to come around alot. many people who played small rolls in many carriers came threw. the one that stands out in my mind is Danny Elfman. I have meet so many people its hard to say how far around the world it will come till people say Yea! I know Yeti!

13. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a college proffesor who had a death warrant on him signed by Saddam Hussein.