Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spotted NZ cross doe was bred to my Harlequin buck (so no inbreeding/linebreeding). She had five or six healthy kits and one dead one that looked like its innards were on the outside. :( As well as some unidentified squiggly bits. The kittens were happy to clean up the remains.

Anyone else seen this? She's had litters before, nice big ones with healthy kits, so I'm hoping it's just a one-off.

I bred her to the Harlequin hoping for some interesting markings - ended up with one spotted, one white and the rest silver marten. Oh well!

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Unfortunate... but I'd think it was just a fluke. I wouldn't worry about it unless it happens again. I'll bet many times when kits are stillborn there is something just as drastic wrong, but hidden inside where we can't see it. Nature is pretty good at taking care of her mistakes.

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One of my Harlequin does had nine kits today by the same buck - they all look fine. No spectacular markings, unfortunately.

The deformed one was quite large compared to the others.

I'm not particularly worried - just curious, really.

·
Premium Member
11,103 Posts
Isn't it strange how the crosses you think will produce unusual markings don't... but then in another nest box you get a kit so different from the usual that you wonder where did that come from?

·
Registered
611 Posts
Isn't it strange how the crosses you think will produce unusual markings don't... but then in another nest box you get a kit so different from the usual that you wonder where did that come from?
I know eh? Somtimes things pop up you'd neer expect! I guess thats why the pedigree them! I dont breed for meat yet, only pet and show so i am more into colours and such...you should try studying the genetics, i get the basics but holy jeeperz, nothing else:eek:

As to the deformed kit, yikes! Ive never had a bad experince yet, and hoping to keep it that way although i know somthing bad will pop up one of these days....

Jesse

www.freewebs.com/jessescritters

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'm hoping for some tri-colour spotted kits - have to wait and see if the one kit is something other than basic black and white.

Silver martens are nice, but I get a lot of them! It's funny, the first litters I got from Johnny (a spotted buck) and the two NZW does, I got several chinchillas. Never had another one since from that cross (or any other).

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, then I'll have to take her on a trip down to K's buck - or up to you! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts