Deers?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Emmich, May 8, 2005.

1. Emmich

Emmich Active Member

I know this is probably the million dollar question - how do you keep deers out of your garden? A friend of mine told me to put up 4 t-posts, string fish line around and hang cow bells on the fish line. Supposedly, the deers can't see the fish line, will walk into it and cause the bell to ring. Do you think this might work? I am open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

Diane Emmich
    B & D Goats
    Handmade Goat's Milk Soap

2. emke

emke Well-Known Member

I think the fishing line is a good idea.

The last garden we had we put string all the way around the garden and hung strips of fabric, so they would blow in the breeze. At the corner posts we strung some empty milk jugs on rope and tied it up, so they would bonk together and also make noise.

Husband and son would use the restroom out there, so that the smell would drive them off. Also when I cut the family's hair I would spread it around out. After we did all of this we no longer had a problem with either deer or rabbits like we did before we did it.

3. thefoodlady

thefoodlady New Member

This will be my 4th year having a garden in the middle of the woods of Wisconsin and I'm only putting up fencing because I now have ducks and chickens. The last 3 years I had no fence or other scare tactics and had no problems with deer,rabbits or any other vegan loving pests. Don't know which approach worked best or the combo of them all but I planted marigolds, sage,basil, dill, oregano,thyme all around....also have a very good watch cat that likes to hang out there by the garden. Everyone else around here has 6 ft. high fencing up but I have no problems till late fall after the frost, then I see signs of deer munching. Deers are all about scent......plant some marigolds & sage.....it's offensive to them....the kittys take care of the other small critters and therefore leave no food for reptiles which is another benifical from my point of veiw!! Good Luck!!

4. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

around here people do the cow bell idea, except we use pie pans instead of cow bells. but i also plant many preventative herbs :) good luck with your problem.