Homesteading Forum banner
101 - 120 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I do not let others change the definition of a word, or sully its meaning. Fair means fair to all parties.
My thought is - Too much wealth is landing into too few hands. Nothing good will come from that.
Yet how many believe the US is a Democracy?
Would you rather fair be a collective or specific to the individual?

Rules are adjusted to suit those with the means to adjust the rules.
Corps like Pfizer, Google, Disney benefit from the ability to crush competition.
I don't see John Deere in the same light.

Life isn't always fair nor is it promised to be.
Opportunity should be though.
Higher wages because, or wealth redistribution because, aren't solutions.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Yet how many believe the US is a Democracy? How does that matter?
Would you rather fair be a collective or specific to the individual? If one is fair to the individual, by extension they are more fair to the collective.

Rules are adjusted to suit those with the means to adjust the rules. That is corrupting the intent of "the system"
Corps like Pfizer, Google, Disney benefit from the ability to crush competition. Ditto
I don't see John Deere in the same light. I agree - Deere is in the headline, so I used them.

Life isn't always fair nor is it promised to be. That does not mean we, as individual should work to make it unfair, but rather we should do our part, ever how small, to conduct ourselves fair.
Opportunity should be though.
Higher wages because, or wealth redistribution because, aren't solutions. I am not arguing to take via fiat.
I am not sure who you are challenging, because your comment bears no resemblance to what I have tried to say. Maybe it is this mode of communication

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Would it not be management's obligation to move their company to a an area with lower wages? Management is responsible for maximizing profit. High labor costs eats profit.
Sure hope this doesn't get ugly.
Last thing we need is for Deere to relocate overseas.
Ten of fourteen John Deere plants are already there.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
My intent isn't to badger, but rather to drill down a bit. I am trying to find your point of differentiating between who deserves profit sharing, if any.
Say you had a stay at home wife who had a very lucrative job offer with travel, that would require a housekeeper, a nanny, maybe someone to manage the horses, or cattle and help with chores, etc. 2-3 people lets say. Without them, she would have to stay home, therefore no fat income, bonuses, vehicle, perks, stock options.
Or similar to the previous scenario, you own a little 5 & 10 store, using highschool kids after school and a couple of full timers. Since labor is the backbone of most every company, don't they also deserve the same path to the profit pie as the Deere workers?
Why should scale matter?
Without a union, how could you be compelled to open your books and pay a fair share to your crews?
Wouldn't coming to work everyday for a slightly above rate and witnessing your own lifestyle create an attitude of envy and resentment?

“Wouldn't coming to work everyday for a slightly above rate and witnessing your own lifestyle create an attitude of envy and resentment?”

In my thoughts that is called motivation to do better.

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
I can see where a form of profit sharing might help motivate a worker to have less mistakes, call in sick less, to stay at their job year in and year out, in general to be a better employee, assuming they remember why they are getting a bonus.

If a welder is worth XXX price per hour in wages in a area, why would the same welder be worth a larger wage at a company that makes a lot of profit versus a company that makes less profit ?

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
“Wouldn't coming to work everyday for a slightly above rate and witnessing your own lifestyle create an attitude of envy and resentment?”

In my thoughts that is called motivation to do better.
I agree. American society however, is being taught otherwise.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
If a welder is worth XXX price per hour in wages in a area, why would the same welder be worth a larger wage at a company that makes a lot of profit versus a company that makes less profit ?
As a group, it would be tying wages to profits.

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
I can see where a form of profit sharing might help motivate a worker to have less mistakes, call in sick less, to stay at their job year in and year out, in general to be a better employee, assuming they remember why they are getting a bonus.

Unfortunately with most companies, the profit sharing or bonuses tied to plant performance are given across the board with no difference between the lazy worker who makes everyone elses job more difficult and the person who spends more time doing the job of 5 people while neglecting their family obligations.

·
Premium Member
28,233 Posts
I wonder if striking workers will lose their jobs before long. It's too easy for companies to move production overseas like Ford has done, or simply close up shop and lay everyone off like WonderBread did.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
They did it -

New York (CNN Business)About 10,000 members of the United Auto Workers union went on strike against farm and construction equipment maker John Deere early Thursday morning.

The UAW had reached a tentative agreement on a new six-year contact with the company two weeks ago, only to see 90% of the rank-and-file members of the union reject it in a ratification vote that concluded this past Sunday. Union and management negotiators talked into the night Wednesday trying to reach a new deal but were unable to do so.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
Why would anybody buy a John Deere, haven't been able to find a good reason in decades. Best idea so far is resale value, but there is absolutely no reason for them to have a resale value.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I haven't had any of their big Ag tractors but I owned maybe a half dozen of their late model compacts and sub compact models. No issues with them that other manufacturers don't have. I can get a Kioti, LS, Case to do the same job with as many or more options for less money, and their accessories will fit across multiple platforms.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Why would anybody buy a John Deere, haven't been able to find a good reason in decades. Best idea so far is resale value, but there is absolutely no reason for them to have a resale value.
Brand loyalty.
There is green, and then there are the other colors.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
Sales of tractors, 40 hp and under, are up 15.2% for the year through June, compared to the same period in 2020. Tractor sales in the 40-100 hp range are up 19.4% for 2021 compared to the same six-month period in 2020.

Just my opinion, but I would think the trend will continue, in spite of any virus, economic turmoil, political nonsense and on.
Labor likely sees this. Management maybe sees something else in the long term.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
My tractor dealer says that the market right now is driven by the deer lease owner. 30 hp, 4 wheel drive, with a bucket. Push out roads, plant food plots, bush hog. These are for playing, not for farming, not that you couldn't do a lot of farming with one like that, but these aren't farmers buying them.

·
Registered
12,340 Posts
I agree. Many of the folks who bought my tractors needed a lesson on what stuff did. I can't count how many times I had to put a tractor they bought on their trailer for them. Go to tractorbynet forum and you can read endless threads about suburbanite newbie owners. They wax them, armorall them, spray tire foam to give a shine to those R4s.

·
Registered
7,784 Posts
My tractor dealer loves it. They buy them, tear them up, and come buy another one, have them fixed, upgrade, etc.. None of them know how to operate a tractor. None of them really need a tractor. But they are convinced they have to have one to get big bucks like on the magazine covers. (What it takes to make those is a semen tank.)

·
Registered
17,888 Posts
I agree. Many of the folks who bought my tractors needed a lesson on what stuff did. I can't count how many times I had to put a tractor they bought on their trailer for them. Go to tractorbynet forum and you can read endless threads about suburbanite newbie owners. They wax them, armorall them, spray tire foam to give a shine to those R4s.
I can relate to that a little with all the new stuff they put on them now. I was using an 8N Ford my whole life until I got to be an adult. Sophomore year in ag they had a tractor driving contest to see who would go to contest. I could see how to start the dang thing but that was it. The was too many bells and whistles for me to figure out.

After I watched the teacher get on it I saw where everything was and tried again. Some of those today look like they belong in a sci-fi flick.

·
Registered
35,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
14 plants on strike

The contracts under negotiation covered 14 Deere plants across the United States, including seven in Iowa, four in Illinois and one each in Kansas, Colorado and Georgia.

The contract talks at the Moline, Illinois-based company were unfolding as Deere is expecting to report record profits between $5.7 billion and $5.9 billion this year. The company has been reporting strong sales of its agricultural and construction equipment this year.

101 - 120 of 158 Posts