Homesteading Forum banner
61 - 80 of 182 Posts
The last riding mower I bought is a Deere. Don't like it. The seat is made for someone under 5'6". no grab bars, have to replace the belt ~2-3 times a year. Or more. I can never buy a belt when I need it so I have to keep an extra on hand. When this Deere dies, I'm going back to Husqvarna.
My tractor is Kubota. 15 years and 0 problems.

Discussion starter · #65 ·
Nobody mentioned a profit sharing program at Deere.
Do they have one?
Not uncommon.
That is what I am suggesting.

I do not know if they have one now

My tenants work for me. I provide a decent living environment in return for my pay. I'm the take it or leave of type of man. Collective bargaining wouldn't make sense to me. Someone else will take their place should they decide to quit...

Discussion starter · #67 ·
Collective bargaining wouldn't make sense to me
I am the first to admit collective barging sets up an adversarial relationship.

Reactions: TripleD
Discussion starter · #71 ·
So I am trying to understand your pov. Is this your preference for employment relationships regarding corporations/unions or would you like to see this type of sharing incentives throughout all workplaces?
All the compensation does not have to come through one stream.

I had a salary. I got a bonus based on company performance, if I got it. I got stock grants.

That seems fair.

The Union/Management thing feels like the King and Lords bestowing favors on the peasants working the land. No matter how well I have ever seen it go, it is always a win/lose. Lots of animosity, and it lingers well up until the next negotiation. Lots of things in the kingdom suffer.

Discussion starter · #73 ·
Reactions: Pony
All the compensation does not have to come through one stream.

I had a salary. I got a bonus based on company performance, if I got it. I got stock grants.

That seems fair.

The Union/Management thing feels like the King and Lords bestowing favors on the peasants working the land. No matter how well I have ever seen it go, it is always a win/lose. Lots of animosity, and it lingers well up until the next negotiation. Lots of things in the kingdom suffer.
It is fair. As long as it was the terms agreed to by all parties at the outset.
when I worked real estate my broker would double our salary every year. Sounds great on paper but we had no salary! Two times nuthin is still nuthin. If we wanted to earn more we needed to sell more. That was fair.

Discussion starter · #77 ·
But do you believe the method you have suggested should be applied to all workplaces, all working relationships between boss/employee, corp/union, etc?
I am trying to think where it would not work. Nothing pops into my mind. I just don't know. Knowing one thing works poorly (e.g. Union/Management) does not automatically imbibe one with what the better alternative is.

I have to ask you, why not?

The idea that one individual creates a business, and at some point is able to share ownership as a form of reward, while still maintaining control, seems immensely interesting.

Just hypothetically, there is a fella on here that lives a little north of you that claims to pay his highschool workers $20-$25 an hour for day labor, plus bennies and bonuses. Some make even more than that he says.
He is having record profits on lumber, pigs, chickens and seemingly whatever he touches.
Would it be fair to ask him to set up savings accounts and rainy day money for the down times, winter layoffs or sick days? Where would he be if he was the head cook and bottle washer?

61 - 80 of 182 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.