Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (KCRG) —
“This is probably the best bargaining position that John Deere has been in many years,” Iowa State University economics professor Peter Orazem said. “I mean the company is doing very well and the company wants to be expanding and doesn’t have enough workers”

John Deere is projected to earn $6 billion this fiscal year, which is a new record, shattering the previous revenue record set in 2013 by 61%. The company employs about 7,000 workers around Iowa.

More than 10,000 John Deere workers could go on strike for the first time in 30 years.

KCRG reports the United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Workers (UAW) and John Deere were back at the negotiating table in Moline, Illinois, Monday.

This came after union members overwhelmingly rejected a new contract Sunday night with John Deere.

Approximately 90% of union members voted “no” to the tentative agreement reached, which was announced Friday. The tentative agreement came after an extension was announced in September to avoid the original Oct. 1 deadline.

UAW Local 838, based out of Waterloo, posted on its Facebook another extension will occur until Wednesday at 11:59 p.m. If there is no deal, a strike will begin at that time. It would be the first strike since 1986, which lasted more than five months.

Orazem said strikes have become very uncommon, especially during economic slowdowns, and that the current situation is different because employees have more leverage due to labor shortages.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you think about the Deere strike?
I am in favor of workers getting a piece of the profit. That said, they need to also shoulder part of the burden during lean years.

Deere annual/quarterly gross profit history and growth rate from 2006 to 2021. Gross profit can be defined as the profit a company makes after deducting the variable costs directly associated with making and selling its products or providing its services.
  • Deere gross profit for the quarter ending July 31, 2021 was $3.953B, a 27.93% increase year-over-year.
  • Deere gross profit for the twelve months ending July 31, 2021 was $14.650B, a 24.53% increase year-over-year.
  • Deere annual gross profit for 2020 was $11.863B, a 4.84% decline from 2019.
  • Deere annual gross profit for 2019 was $12.466B, a 5.76% increase from 2018.
  • Deere annual gross profit for 2018 was $11.787B, a 19.4% increase from 2017.

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
97 Posts
There are several Deere plants right up the road from me...in Waterloo IA. I have friends who work there. Most of them dont understand the common wage around here for manufacturing is much much less than Deeres pays. I kind of dont feel terrible sorry for either side. The company makes alot of money and so do the workers.

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nope, if you want a share of the profit buy stock. That’s how honest people do it.
They can buy stock.

They want more of the operating profit. Why is that wrong?

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it seems they ARE sharing in it with their awesome salaries and great benefits!
So they should not have any more? You think they get enough of the pie?

·
Registered
97 Posts
So they should not have any more? You think they get enough of the pie?
yes, i do think they get enough of the pie. the whole idea of deeres is ridiculous. you pay twice as much for every green piece of machinery, at least twice as much for every part you need when the damn thing breaks down, and the factory workers make twice as much as anyone else in the area. if they keep going up with everything, no one will be able to buy a green tractor because you know the powers that be are just going to increase the cost of the tractor to pass their expenses on. its a never ending cycle. we are quite happy with our off brand red tractor. does all the work it needs and cost a quarter of what a green one does.

·
Registered
36,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes, i do think they get enough of the pie. the whole idea of deeres is ridiculous. you pay twice as much for every green piece of machinery, at least twice as much for every part you need when the damn thing breaks down, and the factory workers make twice as much as anyone else in the area. if they keep going up with everything, no one will be able to buy a green tractor because you know the powers that be are just going to increase the cost of the tractor to pass their expenses on. its a never ending cycle. we are quite happy with our off brand red tractor. does all the work it needs and cost a quarter of what a green one does.
Deere had record profit.

Deer management sets the price of tractors.

Management gets a slice of the profit. Management bonuses fluctuate, up in the good times, and down in the bad times. Why shouldn't labor get a bonus when things are good, and then in turn shoulder the lean times like management does?

·
Registered
12,452 Posts
They can buy stock.

They want more of the operating profit. Why is that wrong?
It doesn't have to be right or wrong.

While others can choose their own kind of rudder to guide them, I tend to view ownership and labor as a Matthew 20v15 thing.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts