deer

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wondering, Jan 16, 2005.

1. wondering

wondering Guest

Where do deer go in the winter? I saw many of them this summer but haven't seen any since the weather got colder. Do they hibernate in a well-hidden area? I would think they would come out for food.

Just curious - I miss seeing them.

2. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

They go into freezers all over the U.S. to feed hungry homesteaders. (S) Rog

3. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

:haha:

4. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

I know that a few are in my moms yard eating out of a trough that she fills twice daily in MN.
    Jodi

5. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

So THIS is where that post went! I knew I wasn't crazy....well...anymore then normal :haha:

This is the answer I gave over on the squirrel feeding post...

Most gather in larger groups in safe secluded areas. Around us, there is a spot that is so thick and nasty I don't know how a snake can get there. It is between two ridge lines and it keeps the wind from coming through. Airial shots during winter show MANY deer hudled together during the cold snaps. It gets really tore up while they are there. Oddly enough, tumble weed blows through during deer season, not a deer sign to be seen.

6. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Wondering, I don't know your location and terrain, so I'll suggest some general info that may help. Here, after hunting season, and the woods get quiet again, they regroup, and forage together generally. The bucks are losing their antlers, as the rut season is ended. They are known to find areas where they can laydown and conserve energy. Evenings, and before storms, we see them in the fields kind of stocking up on browse food. Unless bothered, I think they simply do their thing, and in harsh weather locate where the climate is friendly. It's all about survival and food sources, I think.

7. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I think they probably all come to Athens, Texas. Saw tons of prints at our place yesterday, many within 20 feet of the house, which is unusual. We don't feed them, and they aren't tame, either. Only one "live sighting" though.

8. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

In freezers and hanging on the walls. :)

9. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

Deer are largely nocturnal, and while are a given number of deer in any area, certain times of the year they become more visable.They really don't need much cover to be well hidden during daylight .The summer brings them out into the hayfields and that is when the greatest numbers are seen.Then, depending on the area, the rut results in a greatdeal of buck activety, as they travel day and night seeking does.Once the rut is over, they go back to their largely nocturnal habits and I also think their metabolism slows down in the lean winter months, expending only enough energy to feed.In our area, we had an unusual snow, and the deer get under mature cedar trees with the lower branches hanging down to the ground and this 'tipi' effect provides shelter from wind, rain and snow drifts.
    But, the deer are there alright- and if you get out after a fresh snowfall, you'll see the tracks

10. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    Well six of them are grazing in our hay field right now. And last night, and yesterday morning, etc etc. The rest of the time, ours seems to hang out in the woods behind our hay field and follow trails through our place and our neighbors along the wood line. They don't "hibernate" but do find places they feel safe out of the wind, usually in the woods, possibly under rocky ledges around here. We have a little herd of does who hang out on our place regularly, have their babes in the little woodlot right beside our hay field, and we get to watch them grow up. The added bonus is that when "BIG DADDY" comes around looking for the does, dh gets an easy addition to the freezer, and the wall. :)

11. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Winter Deer are more nocturnal,move less.I always thought about it this way I see both Deer and Turkey more just about time for hunting season.

big rockpile

12. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

They're all at our place! :D
    They come running like pet dogs whenever I go out with my "treat bag".
    We have a herd of about 13 mulies that live around here ( and yes...we have named them all...) :eek:
    Steph

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

they come up in my driveway where they have on occasion walked into 8mm slugs.
    I put up a sign.... they ignore it.
    I only did thjat once to see how long the traumatized survivors would take to return.
    the next day they came back.

salt blocks and fruit trees.... line yer driveway.