Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am guessing it was a buck that debarked my pear tree big time last night.
More than half of the bark is gone from the lower part of the 3 year old tree.
What can I do , and will the tree even live after this mutilation with serious winter weather coming on?

·
Premium Member
8,354 Posts
If he rubbed the bark off all the way around the trunk, the top will die, but the bottom may sprout new limbs next Spring. Time will tell. Meanwhile, encircle your trees with some fencing and hope for the best. If there is some bark that makes a "bridge", you can try to wrap the wound to keep it from losing moisture and maybe the bridge will heal and supply the branches, keeping in mind the bare layer will be open to rot and weaken the tree.

geo

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have all of our orchard trees wearing spiral wrap around trunk guards and the orchard fenced in with five strands of fish line. The fish line has been a complete success. The deer cannot jump it as they do regular fence because they cannot see it. They walk into the taunt line, feel resistance that they cannot see and spook, hightailing it out of the area and crossing it off their buffet list. I find broken strands whenever they try an assault.

You can also try a hot wire around your orchard about chest high on a deer and canopy little aluminum peanut butter smeared squares over the hot wire. Just put a teaspoon of peanut butter on the aluminum foil folded with the peanut butter inside and pinch it around the wire. The deer cannot resist peanut butter and when they touch the foil with their noses, ZAP!

Sorry about your tree. I agree with geo. You may want to get some sealer if the tree isn't barked all the way around and seal the wound but it will be a challenge to get it through the winter.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! He , if it is the same one was working on the small pear tree, when I put the Irish spring Soap on it , went to the bigger tree and really tore into it. All the bark is gone on the south side of the tree,most on the west side. I do not have tape to put on it today, can I wrap it with a wet cloth or something like vet wrap? and apply plastic wrap on top to hold in the moisture?
I like the idea of the fish line!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would be curious to know how the vet wrap and plastic thing works...
Please be sure to post success or failure....

I have a crab apple I have protected with 2x4 mesh fence until could build one of my bear/deer resistant cages around.... I plan on adding more zone 3 things like this...

Of course a big game license and a 12ga with slugs can be useful management tools if you are able use them in your area... Besides being good eating...

Good luck...

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You need to shoot the buck and get him in the freezer. He will learn his lesson. You may lose fruit but you will get a lot of meat :)

We have had deer come in and do the same thing. In the Spring, shoots did grow from the bottom, below the graft.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it is illegal to shoot deer at night and with a .22.
But yes I think it would teach him a lesson about cold storage.

·
Banned
100 Posts
Under the bark of the tree is a slimy layer called the "cambium".. if this layer has been chewed away, the tree is doomed.

If only part of it has been chewed, patch it up with some roofing tar and the tree will most likely survive. You might want to give it some extra water and nutrients next year to help it along.

The most effective means of keeping deer away from your trees is to use that orange plastic construction fencing. its cheap, easy to set up, and highly visible.

That said, it might be better to just wrap the bottom of the tree because rabbits can do the same thing. Its called "girdling" because they chew off the bark to get to the cambium layer and go all the way around. Kills the tree for sure.

·
Premium Member
5,905 Posts
I have 40 apple trees 1-3yrs old, 4 metal T posts around each in an 8x8 square with 5' 2x4 fence wire around the T posts. Only way I've found to keep the deer from browsing them off. Orchard is out of house sight.

Garden, I built a 5' tall fence, which they do occasionally jump....but it IS line of sight from the house, and any deer caught in the 'green zone' gets hung in the walk-in cooler in very short order.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update on my pear trees.
This year both trees bloomed. I toothed wrapping off the one so badly damaged. Although the trunk is scarred the heart wood is still visible. I do not know if wrapping helped but I do not think it hurt. The tree has doubled in height and has 7 pears on it.
We have had a lot if rain this summer and high temps and high humidity. I also built a compost pile near the base do that might be part of the growth encouragement.
The deer are staying away with the Irish Spring.

·
Registered
7,680 Posts
I have 40 apple trees 1-3yrs old, 4 metal T posts around each in an 8x8 square with 5' 2x4 fence wire around the T posts. Only way I've found to keep the deer from browsing them off. Orchard is out of house sight.

Garden, I built a 5' tall fence, which they do occasionally jump....but it IS line of sight from the house, and any deer caught in the 'green zone' gets hung in the walk-in cooler in very short order.
Yup.. that's what I do.. 4 t-posts set just to the drip edge of the tree, then we wrap that orange plastic construction fencing around them. Never any problems with deer and we have lots of deer around here.

My garden is protected by electric fence.. yellow poly wire at 12 inches, 24 inches, 36, 48 and one up at the 7ft level... The one at 7 feet is not electrified however as it wouldn't make a difference if the deer touched it.

We NEVER have any deer in our 60 x 120 foot garden.. But I do occasionally find a broken wire where they try to get in, get shocked, then panic, and break the plastic wire.. takes about 2 minutes to fix it. Happens once or twice a year.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
Planted this chest nut in the late afternoon Oct 2012. Next morning looked like this.

Sprayed it with this stuff I use when pruning.

The tree is still alive and healing over the wound today. I respray over the wound a couple times yearly still.

Built this our there.

He made some very good eating too.

:D Al

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
HATE DEER, A large word hate is, In the case of deer it just means you have never bothered to deal with them.

Just your second post to. On a nearly 3 year old post also.

Reactions: Clayjunky

·
Registered
11 Posts
They are incredibly destructive animals here in Texas. Rank right up there with Feral Hogs. There are so many deer they can be found in small herds feeding on the Courthouse yard.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wrapped the tree and it bore fruit this past summer! It is healing but may not ever do as well. It put on 6 ft of growth.

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I do not have a 8 foot fence all around our gardens. I use 30# test fishing line around the flower beds, one single strand of electric fence around the veggies. No problem, Same with the trees just make a cage twice the diameter of the tree with woven wire and no problems.

We have geese here on the county buildings lawns.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I sprayed the pruning spray on the trunks of the small fruit trees. Evidently deer don't like the taste so they leave them alone. The garden has an 8 ft fence around it with a solar fence charger.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts