Deer with a hoof problem

Discussion in 'Goats' started by southerngurl, Nov 14, 2004.

1. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, there isn't a deer forum so...

Day before yesterday I noticed my pet deer maybe had a slight limp. Hard to tell for sure if he did. He has now stopped putting any weight on it at all. Just touches the ground with the tip of it. We have had alot of rain, so I was worried that he had been hanging around in the mud to much. I picked up his hoof, and looked at it, and it looks perfectly normal. I compared it to the others.
    Last night when I went out there and gave him some tonic, just in case. It is what we take for any kind of infection. It's a mixture of organic habaneros, garlic, onions, horseradish, and ginger steeped in a base of apple cider vinegar. In the past (years ago) he has eaten hamburgers, earplugs, and soap (he's quick :rolleyes:) , so I figure it couldn't hurt him, and might help, works great for us.
    I am wondering if he might have stepped on a rock that poked up between the two hoof parts, and made it sore. Maybe it didn't hurt so bad at first, but you know how things feel the next day after you've walked on them for a while. I really hope it isn't anything bad. We love our little (um huge) deer, Rusty. He's a sweetypie. :D .
    I'm going to go down there and look at it again. Thanks for any help.

2. southerngurl

I just checked on him, and he looks alot better. Still limping, but putting alot of weight on the hoof. I figure something must have poked the inside of his hoof, and since they spread out when he walks, that would really hurt. Anyway, he's enjoying some hedge clippings at the moment. He loves them. :)

3. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I have thought about putting my tonic that is the same recipe as yours into my chicken's water...just thought it might help them fight off any problems they might have. I haven't done it yet, though. Think it would do any good?

How old is your deer? I assume you keep him penned up during hunting season!!???

4. southerngurl

He is 3 1/2, and yea, he is in a pen. It's about 1/2 acre. We are hoping to enlarge it. When he was young, he was never penned, he just hung around, might leave for a day, and then come back. Then we made the pen and would let him out every now and then, supervised, then put him back in. He has gotten so big, and any hunter would shoot him with half a chance. He could also be a danger, as he has no fear of humans. Though he has never shown any agression, you can never be sure, I have heard many pet deer stories. Likely he would only ever lick you to death though.

Yea, I bet it would be good for your chickens. They say hot peppers make them lay more, so it might help there too. Seems like chickens can eat anything without problems. I currently have some younger ones that seem to be living on poke berries. Everytime they poo, it just looks like mashed poke berries. Those are poisonous to us! :eek:

5. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

Lordy, once you got that tonic past the tongue, nothing would live! You'd probably have to take some probiotics just to get functioning again. What's the recipe? I know someone who loves habeneros and gets sick a lot.

Thanks,

Sandi

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

say, could you post tht tonic? I have a cold, or flu or something,and would be willing to try it. also an infection. thanks.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Tonic Recipe (all ingredients should be organic if possible)

1 part fresh chopped onions
    1 part fresh chopped garlic cloves
    1 part fresh grated ginger root
    1 part fresh grated horseradish
    1 part fresh chopped cayenne pepper (or the hottest peppers you can find)

Put all in a blender and add enough good quality apple cider vinegar to cover. Process in blender until an applesauce-like consistency is reached. Pour the goods into a glass jar with a lid (like a canning jar). Shake vigorously every day for at least two weeks (keep it in a dark cupboard). The longer it steeps, the better it will be. When you want to use some of it, strain it through a clean dish towel. Really squeeze it to get all of the liquid out. Then just squirt some on the back of your throat (or pour some in with a spoon) and gargle it for a couple of minutes. Swallow!

This stuff works great to get rid of colds and flu. We take it at the first sign of any trouble and it always chases the bad bugs away.

Southerngurl, is this the way you do it?

P.S. I believe Southergurl sells the stuff she makes, so you may be able to get some sent right to your house!

8. southerngurl

That is very close to what we do. We use habanero peppers (HOT!), and we age it by the moon cycles. Dr. Shultz says to go by the moon, I don't really know if it is important, but we go by it anyway. We let it age for 28 days, and yes, we do sell it. There is a thread way down on barter board about it. $11 a bottle (Dr. Shultz charges 20 something).

We got lucky finding all the fresh ingredients organic, it's not easy. Especially the habaneros and horseradish. The habaneros in our tonic are not organic, but are free of chemical pesticides or fungicides. Everything else was organic.

We use organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar (Bragg's brand, it's the best).

Oh, also we don't take it strait, it's too hot. :eek: We put it in some juice. My cousin can take it strait, and my Grandpa.

What we have is hotter than what we have ever made before, or Dr. Shultz's, due to Buckruns hot habaneros. :yeeha: (Thank you Buckrun!)