Deer Season closed for the year

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by tambo, Jan 7, 2007.

1. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

Our deer season ended today.I killed 4.DH killed 8.We gave most of them away.This is the most I have ever killed in a season.I killed the biggest buck I ever killed but his horns were broken off.I killed a buck that gave me the most excitment ever. DH killed the doe it was chasing.He saw the buck afterwards but it was muzzleloader season and he didn't have his gun loaded in time.He called me on the radio and told me it was coming my way.The wind was blowing the wrong direction so I put some cold blue on the limbs around me.I grunted a few times then waited. I heard something running and the next thing I knew this deer jumped out on the logging road(looking like the mad bull with the smoke coming out of its nose) in front of me about 20 yards.I grunted with my mouth to stop it and shot.It ran off like I missed.I got the shakes so bad I couldn't get out of the stand.DH called me on the radio and told me it fell over by him.

The next one was a doe that came running by me.I couldn't stop her.She ran over by a treetop and stopped.I couldn't find it in the scope so I blew on my grunt call.The doe twitched her tail and I found her in the scope and killed her(after my gun snapped the first time).The next one was a small buck following the doe.

It was so much fun this year.I finally got a permanent stand so I didn't have to carry that climbing stand.It was a year I will never forget.

Tambo

2. Congradulations on all your success! Gee, it sounded like you really did have a lot of fun! That's the way it should be. I like to see the less experienced hunters be successful. I enjoy taking kids hunting for their first time, or an adult who hasn't been successful yet and manage to help them get their first deer. I have just about as much fun watching something like that happen just about as much as when I get one myself. I hope 2007 will be as much fun too.

3. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

That's the way my DH is he was more excitied than I was.He called everybody when I killed that big buck.He loves to hunt and the way we work now If I want to see him I have to go hunting.We both love it.I went more this year because I'm getting to old and fat to climb in a climbing stand.

4. jross

jross swamper

Yesterday deer season in my zone closed. I didn't shoot any deer but I had a great season catching and releasing a half a wye and big spike. Then there was that big high rack 8 pointer that picked me out of my tree in November bow season. Last night after climbing in bed, I picked up the binocs and there was big shouldered deer feeding in the field behind the barn. I went out there this morning and found big round toed tracks with drag marks in the snow, so chances are it was buck. The fellow that hunts with us killed a big 8 point and and a huge spike, so we have meat. ( He gets to gut em and butcher em) I saw deer almost every time out, and now being in the "reflection" stage of my hunting life, that is all I need. Congratulations to all of you that got deer this year, and a special congratulations to all the first timers. You will always remember that first one while the rest may become a blur.

BTW , Has anyone used the Deer-e-ere yet? Best thing that has come along for while.