deer scraps for pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by DRL, Nov 20, 2006.

1. DRL

DRL Member

I just finished butchering a deer tonight and I was thinking about giving the scraps the the pigs, I have five pigs about 175lbs. Also what do you think about giving them the carcus and leting them "clean" the bones off, I usually throw them in the woods for the others animals to clean, but I would rather let the pigs utilize the protein.

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with that except that I cook all meat, ofal and fat that is going to be fed to pigs. I empty the paunch and cook that too, add some barley and whatever else has been pushed to the back of the fridge for the last week and they think they're in 7th heaven. Your right, it's a good source of protein and pigs are both omnivores and carnivores.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. RedneckPete

RedneckPete Well-Known Member

I don't cook it, I just toss it to the pigs.

Pete

4. RedHogs

RedHogs Well-Known Member

you need to cook it!!! most diseases that spread from wild animals to hogs are carried by deer. If you read your transport health papers you will see that raw meat scraps are illegal for this reason.

5. montysky

montysky Well-Known Member

True, can anyone say Hoof and Mouth disease. My understanding is you need to cook meat 4 hours for farmers/ranchers that swill feed. I don't feed meat of any kind to my hogs but that is a choice not right or wrong.