Deer question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rita, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Is it normal for deer to shed great patches of hair at this time of the year? We see a buck and doe almost every day. They come to eat the dropped apples from an old apple tree that is in our meadow. Anyway, a few days ago I notice two huge patches of hair missing on one side of the doe. Well today it looked like the buck had most of the hair missing from the side of his neck. Do they have a disease? I have to look at them thru binoculars so I don't get a real good look at the bare areas. Any ideas? Rita

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I see lots of deer where I live and Ive never seen one sheeding patches of hair. Sounds like a disease or parasites to me

3. NYSaanen

NYSaanen Well-Known Member

Possibly under the apple tree you could leave some literature for the Hair Club for Deer! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist.

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

They probably have mange. We've seen it here in the deer for the last couple years. Get ahold of your fish and game and they have a medicine they can put out for them that will help (at least our's does, :shrug: ).

5. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

The deer in SW Washington went throught this a few years back. Disease of some sort that involved "wasting" in extreme cases. I thought it was mange at first, but was told it was more involved than that. It has apparently run the course and I have not seen evidence of it in some time.

6. Rita

thanks for the replies. Ranch, how would you ever be able to put anything on wild deer? This sure happened fast, they were beautiful a few weeks ago. Rita

7. Rita

Sorry Ranch, I re-read and it says " medicine to put out for them" I thought you meant to put on them. Rita

8. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

lol, I had the same question when I called them. Fish and Game didn't medicate them on our property, but close by on forestry land so I didn't actually see how they did it. They just said they would put the medicine out in a feeder and it would save some of the deer. I imagined a salt block of sorts that had medicine in it. :shrug: The deer this year do look better, but a couple years ago we would see huge clumps of hair hanging off them, and lots of bald spots. They did say it is hard to control and it's a growing problem in our area.

danb-That sounds like what is happening up in the Mt. St. Helens reserve with the elk. If you are in SW Washington you probably heard all the commotion that was made with Fish and Game in hot water for not keeping adequate watch on the overpopulation of elk. They were starving to death, and over populated.

Over here across the river, if we could get control of the coyote's and the poachers we would have more deer.

9. Your Fish and Game Dept should be notified so they can check it out. It could be CWD or EHD, which are both deadly and contagious to deer.

10. Rita

What is EHD.? I've hear of CWD. Today I saw a fawn (still had spots) all by itself eating the apples and wonder if something happened to his mother. I always see them with their mothers! Thanks for the advice. I'll look up EHD.

11. EHD= Epizootic Hemmoragic Disease. Its similar to CWD

12. Oh And fawns often wander away from their mothers but usually they arent far away