Deer-proof shrubs... (goat-proof,too!)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by jill.costello, Dec 25, 2005.

1. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

Hello,
    we've been on our 15 acre homestead for a year now, and I finally feel like we're "caught-up" enough with the livestock projects to start considering some eye-pleasing planting for spring.

What are some deer-and-goat-proof shrubs that I could plant along the driveway and borders? Is there ANYTHING these browsers won't eat?

Thank you! -Jill

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

They don't seem to care much for mesquite. LOL Of course nobody in their 'right' mind would want to plant THAT.

They don't seem to eat the Yaupon Holly that I've noticed and it grows well here. Pretty too, and you can make a caffeinated drink from the roasted leaves. If you want some starts (assuming you don't already have any there) I'll give you some.

They would not eat the lilacs in my yard in Colorado, but I don't think it grows well here.

Never noticed them eating Oleander and that is pretty too.

ETA Beauty bush is nice and they don't seem to go for it.

3. poppy

poppy Guest

My goats and the deer around our house never bother our yews, arborvita, and blue rug junipers. They will chew on white pine.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Arborvitae is an interesting plant as it contains all the nutrients that whitetails need to survive, in addition to providing cover. The only other plants they like as well, are apples and corn. Try the plastic and silk plants for best success.

5. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Up in northen Cal I saw folks planting a special type rose that has HUGE thorns that supposedly keep dear from eating them.Dont know what they are called,sorry.These thorns were like an inch+ long.

BooBoo

6. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Don't know about goats, but deer leave salvia alone and it is really pretty, lots of different colors. Have never lost an oleander either, but they are very poisonous, I would be leery of planting them in case the goats curiousity overcame their common sense!

I have a huisache tree, that is like a mesquite, and also a desert willow, these go unscathed as well, as do rosemary, yarrow, and usually mexican heather, also usually lantana, and they are great looking and low maintenance.

hollym

7. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Lol, I was talking to a lady in the Home Depot line one time and told her I was ready to plant silk flowers? She told me that one time she DID do that, and the deer STILL nibbled on them, lololol.

hollym

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I mentioned rugosa roses in another thread. They are lovely, smell great, make a marvelous hedge, but have Thorns On Steroids! Barbed thorns at that. Don't know about deer or goats, but they keep the neighbor kids away.

DH suggested hawthorne (can't get close enough to eat it). He also laughingly suggested buckthorn, because NOTHING will eat it! BUT HE WAS JOKING!!! Buckthorn is an invasive, non-indigenous plant. DO NOT PLANT IT!! Buckthorn and English sparrows need to go away... (Sparrows drive out indigenous birds, particularly my favorite, the bluebird.)

I agree with the juniper. Nothing seems to like that, either. Well, except for spiders. We get some HUGE webs in ours.

Pony!

9. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

My goats eat through all the wild rosa and ate the planted rugosas with much gusto! Would have to say 'uh uh' on that one.

I bought some seeds from Pinetree this year - they said they planted it and the deer seemed to ignore it. Includes lupine, etc. Going to try it - will let you know!

Pinetree - www.superseeds.com - 804. DEERPROOF GARDEN FLOWER MIXTURE
    We tried it, it looked good, and the deer seemed to pass it by on their way to ravage our vegetable plantings. Includes: white yarrow, blue pimpernell, lance-leaved coreopsis, plains coreopsis, foxglove, California poppy, blanketflower, sweet alyssum, yellow lupine, Mexican lupine, perennial lupine, arroyo lupine, shirley poppy, gloriosa daisy, scarlet sage, blue sage, and dwarf zinnia. 700 seeds

Oh - coreopsis my goats don't touch - nor yarrow...

Andrea
    www.gotgoaties.com

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the info on the rugosas -- now I know that what works for humans won't necessarily work for deer! :D

I'm going to go check out the flower mix. But not the lupines... "I'm sick to death of bloody lupines!"

Sorry. Python moment. ;)

Pony!