Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
I process all of mine. Mainly justy money thing I guess. Of course all the butchers seem to be packed out and say it will take a few dasy to get it in. So usually we just clean and cut em up ourselves. Nothing fancy tho. A few yrs ago my brother and law killed a elk. Now that was some work.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have always had mine done but given the prices the past couple years i need to learn to do it myself!

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
Like I said I dont do anyting fancy. I will cut the meat off the bones and sepereat each piece of meat and then cut it up like little steaks. Most are about 1/2 inch thick and maybe as wide as a reg mouth on a mason jar. All turns out prtty good.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
about the only cuts we keep are the loins everything else is ground up with a little pork fat added. i go through a couple a year so the wife starts puttin on the pressure when deer season approaches.

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
This thread is making me miss the cool weather. Our squirrels season opens Sep 1st I cant wait. Hope to go through a few suirrels and deer this yr.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Hey CGUARDSMAN one thing about it we can Debone our Deer in the woods if we want now.Makes life better.

Cost too much to have Deer processed and it only takes about an hour not counting grinding.

big rockpile

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
knowing the condition of many deer that get processed...no way will i send mine off. i don't want my harvest to be anywhere close to the nasty, gut shot and 3 days in the sun kills many folks send to be processed. especially true when it comes to getting meat ground...like that butcher is going to clean his rig for every deer he does. i do know one guy who runs a tight ship. if i need anything done, he would get my business.

i have my butchering down pat for myself. loins get sliced and vaccuum packed for the freezer. the best part of the hind quarters get cubed for canning...which i do myself. the shanks, front and rear get vaccuumed for soup and roasts. the front shoulders get halved for roasts along with the neck roast...all vaccuum packed. if i decide to make bologna, and until i have my own grinder, the afore mentioned guy grinds my meat and stuffs the casings...i bake it myself.

i met another guy who showed me a neat trick. this old timer cooks the carcass, it must be a fresh kill and butchered promptly, he pulls the meat and adds chicken or turkey meat and corn meal to make scrapple. he salvaged 9 lbs. of meat from the doe carcass i gave him last year.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Up until last year, I've had my deer processed at the butcher paying about $75 for what ends up with about 100 lb. venison. The butcher process price included wrapping and 20 lb. of italian spiced sausage links.
Granted that it doesn't cost to self process, and some cost for sausage making (spices, etc.), but I'd rather process myself now that I know I can. I'm just 'tuning up' the technique.

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
I debone mine hanging. I hang tail up on a gambrel. The onlt bones that I actually remove from the carcass is the shoulders and front legs. I filet them off the carcass and bone them seperatly. The loins and hindquarter meat all gets boned off the hanging frame.

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
Yep we always do our own and some of the friends too, cause nobody does a better job than we do. We normally do prolly 10 or 12 every year. We have a set-up in the pole barn for skinning, then all the meat is fine tuned in our kitchen, pulling all the muscles apart in the hind quarters, removing all silver skin and boned. The back straps are nothing but pure red meat when we are done. Trimmings are lean red meat used for sausage or burger and nothing goes to waste. The tender loins are pulled when the deer is hung to avoid any drying of the awesome tender viddles.....

R

·
0 Posts
You really need to check into who out there processes deer. If it's a regular processing plant they will probably do a rotten job for you. They may process 25 to 50 deer per day. In my opinion, there's no way that many deer can be processed adequately in such a short time.

If you take it to a private individual who does it just for the deer hunters (such as myself) you may receive the best processing job you've ever had. I have many customers who say they will never do it again thereselves or take it to anyone else cause I do such a great job and give back plenty of meat compared to what they receive back from other places. My secret is, I treat every deer as if it was going into my own freezer at home. I try to make the most out of it.

This year I will be charging .65 cents per pound hanging weight. A hundred pound deer will cost $65. bucks. Less if it weighs less then 100, more if it weighs more then 100. If a trigger happy hunter brings me in a 50 pound doe, it will only cost him $32.50 If a lazy hunter brings me in a 175 pound undressed deer it's going to cost him 114 bucks.

No matter the cost, seems I have a lot of happy customers.

R

·
0 Posts
Try this one the next time you get a deer. Cut the backstraps into about 2" thick slices. Take the slice and lay it between two peices of plastic film. Beat and flatten the heck out of it with a roller pin till its about 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. If you have a electric meat tenderizer run it through it. If not a take a club meat tenderizer and beat the heck out of it some more.

You now have steaks ready to be rolled in flour and chicken fried. Smother it and mashed taters with gravy and you will think your in heaven.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
If you cannot care for a deer, or any other animal, after you've killed it, you shouldn't be killing it. And perhaps you should be preparing for passing from this plane of life to the next.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have had my deer processed by the same family for 25 years and they do a very good job. You get back the deer you bring in even with the ground which is why we use them. One of the issues with doing our own has always been that we hunt on an elderly friends property and stay there for the week. We really don't have a place where we can get it all done at their property. Gilberte I don't for the life of me see anyone on this thread who has mentioned not being able to care for their kill so if you are just trolling for issues that is not what this thread was about.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I thought I was plain and succinct in my post. If you have a question, ask it and I'll do my best to clarify.

·
Registered
593 Posts
You sound a bit self-righteous.
Many people need a lil help with
processing after a kill.
Hope I read you wrong initially, in
which case, I would offer an apology.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I don't know if you read me wrong or not, let me reiterate, if you kill a deer, you should have the wherewithal to properly take care of it. If you don't, you have no business killing the deer.

Not to say that you cannot enjoy deer meat taken by those able to kill, and then care for the carcass. But you have no right (in my opinion) to take the life of the deer yourself. That's just killing for the sake of killing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts