Deer milk

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by swampmoose, Dec 16, 2003.

1. swampmoose

swampmoose Member

Is there any use for milk extracted from a deer? I noticed that a substantial amount can be squirted out from a large doe. Can you drink it, or will it make you sick? Any advice would be appriciated, thanks

2. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

do you have a deer that will let you milk her???

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

You do not mention where you are from. There are areas of the country where the deer herds carry TB and other diseases that you wouldn't want to get. Other than that, deer milk would have to be very similar to goat's milk, as they use goats milk to feed the fawns that are orphans. I know that they use reindeer milk and yak milk in other parts of the world.

4. back in Newfoundland the locals drink''moose milk'' ...... but of course that is 90% white lightening.....I would think finding an obliging moose would be the first problem

5. swampmoose

swampmoose Member

Hi, thanks for the replies so far. First of all, I'm talking about a deer that has been killed, not a live one. Is it bad to get milk from a dead deer, even if it is fresh?
    I live in virginia and have heard reports of chronic wasting disease, so I know about that and what to look for even though it hasn't come this far yet. I'm sure it would probaly taste similar to goat's milk. Thanks again for the replies. -K

6. You would have to be really hard up to milk a dead deer for its milk. Do we need to take up a collection so you can go buy you some?

7. naturewoman

naturewoman Well-Known Member

This post is so gross! :no:

8. Soni

Soni Well-Known Member

Hey, waste not, want not. Since most homestead-style hunters take pride in killing for food rather than sport, one assumes that the 'everything but the squeal (or would it be snort)' line of logic should apply. I mean, meat is meat, and milk is milk, and assuming the deer is milked immediately upon death it shouldn't be of any lesser quality than from a live animal.

9. I think I'll stick with ''moose milk'' ,thanks

10. swampmoose

swampmoose Member

There are plenty of uses for animals; some are not so pleasant to think about. I totally agree with what Soni said, "milk is milk". I did'nt post this to recieve criticism, I just wanted some helpful advice. Thank you

11. Sorry about that swampmoose and I agree with soni on the waste not want not theory. Although I waste much more now then when I was taught when growing up. When I was a young lad just getting into deer hunting I invited my myself to hunt with my uncles. When they killed a deer, nothing went to waste. They would even chop up all the bones for stew. There wouldn't be much meat left on the bones but if it would flavor the broth up and make some good tasteing noodles then it was worth saving to them. I tried that with the first few deer I killed after getting married and found out that I was the only one who would be eating the concoction. I got to where I didn't like cooking all those bones and noodles, eat a bowl or two myself, and then throw the rest out to the dogs. It was still a waste, so I just started giving the bones to the dogs as soon as I took the meat off. If we ever get into a true survival situation, I maybe the only one in my family with a full belly.

12. I'm just a lurker here, but my bunk buddy is known in these parts as the deer lady. She milks does all the time (live) to use the milk to get them (the does) to accept a orphan fawn. These darn rodents with horns will let her get away with anything and she spends a lot of time and energy (and cash) on these animals. While I have not sampled this milk, I am told by my live-in expert, that it is good, healthy and I can milk one any time I want........I think not ! But I sure love the flesh.

She picks their ticks and grooms them and they groom her back; while not my cup of tea, it keeps her in trouble with the law and gives her a lot of pleasure.

13. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

My brother, on a dare from me, tasted the milk from a doe he shot while we were gutting it out. We had just slit the skin and part of the knife cut went through the sac.

Said it wasn't bad at all. I didn't have the guts to try it myself though, so I can't help you out.