Deer in my Business

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hesmith, May 25, 2006.

1. hesmith

hesmith Active Member

Does anyone have a real good way to prevent deer from dining in the garden?
    This year they have decided to eat all my string beans and sweet potatoes. They do not bother butterbeans or corn.
    They even came up to the house and ate the beans in my raised beds!

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmmmmmmmmm, Eat Deer!!!!! OMG I know I am going to Get it!!! Randy

3. Linda H

Linda H Missouri Ozarks

I put out about 3/4 pound of dry corn a day. This has kept the deer and squirrels out of my garden. You can see deer tracks about four feet away from the squash plants but they haven't bothered my garden in two years. (knocking on wood)

4. Andy Nonymous

Andy Nonymous Registered, here...

Well, depending on how big an area you need to protect, probably the most reliable way to keep deer (and other varmints) out is a mongrel dog inside a fence. Some people use human urine spread around the perimeter of an area (depending on how "country" you are, it could be applied directly, otherwise, more discression is advised). Some claim human hair will ward off deer. You may also try blood meal sprinkled around the perimeter of your area, possibly available from your local feed store or garden supply.

Of course, in some areas, the local Cooperative Extention (Ag) Agent will issue a permit for "nusance deer" hunting out of season - sometimes with no limit, but that is usually reserved for "field crops" (as in acres worth).

FWIW.

5. JGex

JGex Pragmatist

So far the new electric fence is working here......

Shocked the crap out of our curious cat, too.

6. frazzlehead

frazzlehead AppleJackCreek Supporter

Do you have chickens?

You could try a Chicken Moat!
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/library/1988_May_June/The_Chicken_Moat

I figure the outer fence needs to be predator resistant (strong fencing, more expensive) and the inner one just needs to be enough to keep the chickens outta the garden (so could be of cheaper/lighter stuff).

Eggs, meat, and veggies! It's a well balanced diet!

7. hesmith

hesmith Active Member

Thanks for the input. I have though about the corn and I guess I will go with that to start with. I have no problem with eating them but they are out of season and unless they are destroying commercial crops you can not get a permit to kill them.
    Fences are also a thought but the area is pretty large.

8. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

We have tried the urine thing, fabric softener sheets, chickens, and geese. This year we are going to try a 6 foot high double fence. We are fencing the large area of the whole yard, then the area right around the garden. The dogs (two large ones, a labador mix and a New Foundland/lab mix) will get to run the yard. I DARE any deer to come in!

If that doesn't work, we have heard that deer won't jump a fence they can't see through, so we will have to totally surround our garden with a permenant solid fence.