Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The deer have found my garden - so far only the row of greenbeans, that was days ago. any simple low cost methods for deterring them - next year
i will be putting up an electric fence.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
I have had some luck with monofilament fishing line--whatever was cheap or was lying around--tied between some light cheap fence posts. Supposedly the deer can feel the line, but don't see it, and they don't like that so it spooks them. Of course it might not work, but I did try it when we grew beens in the garden plot by the orchard, farther from the house than the other plots, and it seemed to reduce the deer damage. I tied some colored tape to the lines to remind us that they were there.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I put up 6' fencing, comes in 50' rolls, with a 7' T-post every 10', a solution that has proved worthy, while not cheap up front, it has kept all but the birds and one baby bunny out of my garden. There are pics of the fence in my ' garden pics ' thread. I would use the same thing again in the future without reservation.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
Well that soap on a string has done the job for me one more time. It always works if you get it up before they get a taste. :bouncy:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sprinkling blood meal around the plants will keep them away EVERY time. We had 8 deer in our orchard which is next to the garden the other day, and they walked through, but didn't touch anything in the garden. Last year they ate off the greenbeans 3 times and all the beets, chard, lettuce, kale and even the radishes! I also put blood meal around my roses as they have mowed them off so many times also.

You do have to reapply it after a lot of watering or heavy rain. But it really does work.

I tried the soap thing last year and the only thing to work was the blood meal for us.

Deborah in Oregon

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Blood meal worked for us last year but not this year. :shrug:

Electric fence is so-so but 6' high 2x4 welded wire has done the trick so far. I know they can jump it but so far they haven't bothered.

·
Retired US Navy
111 Posts
I live in Washington State, near the Hood Canal, and Green Mountain,...I am in "deer heaven",...but with the 7 foot fence, and the fact that I use a product called Liquid Fence,...deer have not touched a thing! I even have about 70 rose bushes throughout my 2.5 acre property and they haven't been touch as well due to Liquid Fence. ...No, I don't work for, or own the company,...I just use it and it does wonder for my garden and my wife's roses!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts