Deer hunting with a dog question.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 24, 2006.

1. Has anyone here ever hear of taking a dog along to use as a sight dog? Not for the use of running the deer to you but just to set by your side and does the spotting for you. Yesterday when I was out trying to train a dog for squirrel hunting, a couple of times while we was setting next to a tree the dog would see something in the far distant woods. I wouldn't see anything but when I would raise up my binoculars and look in the same direction as the dog was looking, I would then be able to make out a deer.

Although the first time we had a nice size buck come within 15 yards of us and the dog didn't even see it at all. The dog was too busy looking in the other direction. But our second and third deer sighting the dog noticed them coming first before I did. On the second sighting there was 4 does heading in our direction and I could have easily shot the lead doe before she noticed that we was even in the area. The third sighting the deer was in such heavy brush way off that I couldn't even make out if it was a doe or buck. If it hadn't been for the dog I wouldn't have known that deer existed at all.

The problem is that here in Oklahoma the game laws states that we cannot take deer with the aid of a dog. So I guess that covers all loopholes. Usually when you think of using a dog, you think of the dog(s) actually running the deer to you.

2. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

yes ....i knew of a governmet hunter/trapper that used a dog like you said.but he was calling in coyotes.the dog would always see/hear the coyotes coming in before he did.he would call and watch his dog.when he perked up and looked a dorection.he was ready when they came in for the shot.he was one of the top men for the G'ment.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Truth Horse works very good,same way.

big rockpile

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Id be more worried about the deer seeing the dog first. And youd have a hard time explaining to a Game Warden just why it is you have a dog with you if youve just killed a deer

5. big rockpile

There is ways to get around it.Here you can track a wounded Deer with a Dog long as its on a Leash and you have no weapon.

Years ago we use to run Deer with Dogs.Loved it.

big rockpile

6. So I guess the loophole would be to tell the game warden that I shot the deer and couldn't find it. So I went home and brought back my dog to track it down!!!! :shrug:

Or would that still be considered taking a deer with the aid of a dog?

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Unless you take your gun home first and then go back youd still be hunting. And if he comes along BEFORE you kill a deer and you have the gun and the dog?? Also you need to see if using a tracking dog is legal where YOU are. Not all states are the same. And what if a deer gets close before either of you see it? Will the dog remain motionless until you get a clear shot? It just doesnt sound that productive to me LOL

8. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

What kind of dog do you use? We have beagles for hunting rabbits and my husband won't take them deer hunting because he says they would bark and scare the deer away.

9. big rockpile

We had Black and Tan Hounds for Deer Hunting.They would run Deer in a circle the same as Dogs run Rabbits in a circle.

big rockpile

10. Well the dog is a mixed breed stray dog that just called my place home one day. I usually run them off but this one heavily favored a Airdale Terrior. She's a little on the short side but the first few days here she chased all the cats off. Which I was glad to get rid of them. Since she was doing a good job chasing and treeing the cats I decided to keep her to see if she would make a good squirrel dog.

So Saturday when I had her out I kept her next to my side and I wasn't planning on releasing her till she saw a squirrel running on the ground.(which we never did the whole weekend) While she was on the leash next to my side, I was able to control her barking whenever deer aproached us. She was not able to run after the deer.

If I was to use her to deer hunt with, what I would do is a repeat of this last weekend. Just keep her on a leash by my side while setting out in the woods. Let her do the spotting, and I'll do the shooting.

11. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

r.h. ... I wouldn't try it.

12. Well I might give it a try, but only when hunting straight back behind my house. I could say she got off her chain and found me out here in the woods right after I shot this big ole buck, so I'm keeping her on this made up leash so she doesn't get shot by other hunters in the area. :shrug:

Don't worry, I'll probably won't try it. I like to hunt out of a tree stand anyway and I don't know how keeping a dog 15, 20 feet up in a tree would work out.

13. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member