Deer hunting weapon of choice

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Bwana, Sep 9, 2006.

What do you hunt deer with?

1. Rifle

2. Shotgun

3. Muzzleloader

4. Bow & Arrow

5. Crossbow

6. Spear

7. Camera

8. Pick-up ;-)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

After seeing all of Big Rockpiles' hunting pics, most showing a muzzle loader of one sort or another, I was just wondering what your weapon of choice is for deer hunting? In this poll, you can vote for multiple choices, so if, like BR, you hunt with both a muzzleloader and a crossbow, vote for both.

Looking forward to the responses! Feel free to reply as well...give us some details!

Dave

2. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

OK, I guess I could have included my picks in the initial post but anyway, I mostly hunt with a rifle, though I have shot more deer with a shotgun in the past. I also bowhunt, though I've only gotten two with a bow, both of those in '96! And I started bowhunting in '87! Pretty pathetic, huh? :)

Dave

3. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I hunt during rifle season . we have nieghbors that in my opinion are too close so I use a winchester 1894 44mag saddle rifle with 16" barrel for deer . most shots are well within 100 yards ( more like 50) but always make shots downward to avoid the bullets carrying towards the neighbors.
    For small game I use a pistold crossbow , winchester 1894 22 with shorts, or 16ga singleshot. I have taken one doe with a ozarkorange long bow but have dislike for most bow hunting after finding a number of dead deer that have been shot with arrows . (somepeople shouldnt be llowed to hunt)

4. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

For the last several years I've used a replica 1873 .45/70 Trapdoor Springfield that was made by Harrington & Richardson in 1959, during rifle season. During muzzle-loading season I use a Lyman .54cal Plains Rifle. Both of these rifles are 1 shot stoppers for whitetail deer at around 100yrds or less.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Deer are too common here to take that many interesting pictures with a camera. I would have said that for first choice until I changed my mind that I have hunted deer and it really depends. For where I would hunt now in the 'ag zone' of the district it's more brushy and closer shots that a 30:30 lever action works great. In the 'longer range' areas of the forested large clearings I'd to with a 30:06...... both rifles scoped.
    I've hunted and harvested deer effectively with a 12 ga. slug with a marlin bolt action goose gun at 50 yards. That's a real killer weapon to bring down a deer which I proved to myself.
    I guess most of the time though, it would be the 30:30, as deer I would be shooting at between 75 and 100 yds and that gun worked the best for me so far.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Man where to start??? I've shot Deer with 30-30,.270,.303 British,30-06,.243,20ga.Slugs,12ga. Slugs,.45Cal. Muzzleloader,.50Cal. Muzzleloader,54Cal. Muzzleloader,Various Recurve and Compond Bows,plus Crossbow.

Shot Muzzleloader mostly every since they have such a long Season and Unlimited Doe Tags.

big rockpile

7. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70, that way I can tell a whopper & honestly say I shoot a .458, all at the same breath!
    .40 flintlock
    .50 flinter
    .58 capgun
    50# longbow
    45# recurve
    Got a doe with a 9mm, but won't attempt that again and do not recommend it for anyone else!

8. Lairvine

Lairvine Pure-T-Mommicked, son!!!

Well I have a .243 and a .270 both model 110 savage bolt action... I love em both

9. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

I like to hunt with one of my pistols although I have never had the opportunity to harvest a deer with them. I like my muzzleloaders and have had great success with them as well my crossbow. Shotguns are used by me only occasionally- I like the accuracy of the muzzleloaders better.

10. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

.303?Man,I loooove those enfields.
    Our deer here are plentiful,but smallish.I have a few rifles to choose from,but my favorite for rolling over whitetails is my stainless mini 30(7.62x39).Ballistically,the round paralells the 30-30,at least for the most part.I wouldn't try to go outside of 100 yds with it,but I only take clean kills,and most of my shots are short-range from a treestand/blind/kitchen window.
    I've taken a few hogs and deer with my S&W 686 .357 mag,but those were inside of 20 yds.

11. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

Good one, wy0mn!

I'd like to either get a Ruger No.1-S Medium Sporter in .45-70 (smaller, lighter version of the 1-H Tropical) or a 1-H Tropical in .458 Win. which could be loaded down to .45-70 levels for plinking and close range deer and black bear. Seems like it would be great fun to carry around a single shot falling block rifle with 'express' styling!

Dave

12. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

How on earth did I forget to include handguns in this poll!? Sorry about that!

Dave

13. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

30-30 for the thick stuff.
    .308 for the mountain land.
    But if I had to choose one deer hunting style, it would be my bow.

Bwana, you did forget pistols (.41 Ruger Mag.)

And ladders................

..............long story. :D

14. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

I use a model 70 Winchester in .270.

15. Bear

Bear Well-Known Member

My favorite deer or bear gun is my Remington 760 carbine in 30-06 and has proven itself many times in both species. If the weather is nice, I might even take out my prized Winchester Model 71 in 348. This gun knocks down deer like they got hit by a bolt of lightning. For archery I take my Hoyt Super Slam set at 70 Lbs.

16. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

They say (whoever "they" are) that most deer in this country are taken with a .30-30 caliber rifle. That's what I use. A Marlin 336 that was my first, and only, deer rifle. Where I hunt, in Minnesota forestland, you rarely get a shot over 50 yards.

[​IMG]
    2005 Buck

17. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

As I sit in my living room watching two spikes and a doe walking around outside my back window, it occurs to me that most anything will do. I'm not sure that this could be called hunting... :)

18. BearCreekFarm

BearCreekFarm Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to deer season this year. I have a new Browning A-Bolt in .308 which Mr. Jackpine Savage just gave me as a second anniversary gift.

For a wedding present I gave him a Winchester Model 70 in .338. He had a moose hunt shortly after we got married and since I could not go along, I wanted to be darn sure he'd be thinking about me while he was away, lol. I guess it brought him luck because he bagged a 750 lb moose with it. Hope his gift brings me as much luck during deer season.

19. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

Cabin fever,

That's a nice buck. Congrats.

I chose shotgun in the poll because that is what the state requires. My real choice is rifle. I have many customs and love to shoot them. Nothing is quite like having a custom built up and reloading for it.

Bow comes in second just because I'm one of those people that doesn't sit still real good. I can't even sit down and watch TV. Drives DW crazy.... :help:

20. Bwana

Bwana Well-Known Member

Great buck CabinFever! Nice pic too. Was it a self portrait via timer? One of the better feild photos I've seen, especially for that time of day.

Dave