deer hunting question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by leland, Jan 20, 2004.

1. leland

leland Member

I have planned to bow hunt the last few days of the season, however I will be camping as well. The winter temp is around 10-25 degrees. My question is this:
    Will the smell of campfire smoke in my clothing help, hurt or have no effect? I know the deer will smell it, but I hope they will be either curious (good) or spooked (bad) or they may not be bothered. I don't know? But I know this, a fire at night would be great!

My instincts tell me not to get my clothes smelled up but I am hoping someone will say "Don't worry, make the fire, stay warm"

Thanks Lee

2. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

I have heard that smoke will not bother deer but I don't know that for sure. I take my camo clothes off after hunting and hang them up away from camp.
    Up

3. Dave in Ohio

Dave in Ohio Well-Known Member

The Indians didn't use mask blockers, they smelled of smoke, it may make the deer wary, but shouldn't scare them off.
    Dave

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I went out one time didn't worry about smell,wood smoke,Coleman Fuel,Bacon.5 Minutes had my Deer.

I don't really worry about smell other than staying down wind from them.And I killed 3 this year.

big rockpile

5. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

If you're inunfamiliar territory it probably won't matter. If archery hunting and wind is wrong, yo're probably screwed regardless. The reason I said of unfamiliar territory ... oyu probably won't know the direction of the approaching deer ... so you can't play the wind that well ... it's a gamble and a lot of luck ... for the most part.

Smoke will HELP mask human odor ... sure. It won't eliminate it though. Climb a tree ... I've done this before but it's HARD to stand any length of time on a branch ... unless you have a portable ... then you're in business. The elevation, as you know, will carry your scent higher and help a bit.

Yes indians smelled of smoke but they also used whatever means possible ... herding over a cliff, driving, chasing, etc. and I'm certain they played the wind too ... you do that correctly and you can smell like a French ... well you could smell like a Frenchman ... even better :haha: ... and it won't matter.

Don't worry, make the fire, stay warm!!!

PS. avoid the "curiousity" thing if possible ... keep them unaware ... coming in "curious" puts them on alert and looking for something.

bigrockpile ... I thought you said earlier you shot 5-6-7 deer or something like that? I might be mistakin but thought I remembered that.

6. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Deer are funny critters. If I'm on a tractor I nearly have to wait for them to move. In my truck on the same trail 1/2 mile away they will take off. Run a chain saw and they will come within 20 feet , shut it off and their gone. Lotsa luck

mikell

7. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Mike I got 3 with Bow and 2 with Smokepole.

big rockpile

8. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

C'mon .. you got 3 with a CROSSGUN and 2 with a smokepole :haha: We're talking ARCHERY here :haha: :D

Sounds like you had a good year though! I tagged an 8 point and 3 doe myself.

9. "Don't worry, make the fire, stay warm".

Actually smoke is one of the best cover scent you'll ever come into. Have you ever heard of charcoal activated suits? Smoke kind of does the same thing. It will absorb or covers your odors and deer are not afraid of smoke. When we are at camp with a fire we always try to stand in line with the smoke for several minutes before going into the woods. We also hang our hunting clothes nearby the camp fire so that they will be filled with smoke when morning arrives. However you will still generate new odors as you walk around so it is still necessary to hunt down wind as much as possible.