deer hunting/atvs/tresspassing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Sep 23, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Yes, it is again that time of the year for deer hunting. Last year, we had problems with hunters cutting our fences. Then, they drove their atvs on the property without permission. :grump:
    I don't have a problem with hunting deer. Just trespassing without permission, destroying property .Yes, dripping springs I know you are getting your tampons ready for a boone and crockett deer. I have no problem with killing deer and using the meat. I do have somewhat of a problem just shooting them taking their antlers and leaving them to die and rot.
    No, I am not anti-hunting. Far from it. I just don't like having my property destroyed and people wondering around without permission. :bash: My husband hunts and killed a 12 pointer on our farm last year.
    Another thing, people dropping off their beagles, coonhounds or whatever to chase the deer to the hunters. :grump:
    Get this. I talked with to the game warden. He told me "he couldn't do anything because it was private property, take a picture of them." :viking: Yeah right. ;) What a da he is.
    tnborn

2. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Try going over the local game warden's head to the next level up the chain of command in that organization.
    In some states, if game laws or criminal trespass occurs on private property the DNR will very much get involved. If you committed a wildlife crime on your own private property the DNR would be there before you could trurn around.
    Also would consider contacting the local sheriff and/or county prosecutor.
    Good luck.

3. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about the hunting dogs. They destroyed a lot of my poultry last year. I bought some metal No Hunting and No Trespassing signs this year and plan to climb tess and wire them on. They even send dogs with transmitters on them, so they can't be blamed for trespassing. I'm tempted to wire antlers to the dogs and truss them up on top of my van, then drive by the side road where the hunters park!

4. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

But you are dealing with people who think they can ride roughshod over you so I'd deal with them in a way they can understand. Sometimes have to think like a criminal in order to outwit them. PM me if you really want to know. :angel:

5. afrikaner

afrikaner Well-Known Member

Yup, contact the DNR. HEre in GA, paoching is a SERIOUS offense. DNR officials have more power than cops! They can confiscate a paochers guns, truck and boats at a moments notice...no court order needed. tRespassing is an offense, no matter where you live.

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think this is dangerous or illegal. In the areas where they are most likely to drop off dogs, sprinkle pepper. Black pepper is probably fine, but cayenne is going to do the trick.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............I believe I'd be killing me a 12 point ATV . A 30-06 ought to punch a nice hole thru that Aluminum head . There have tresspassers shot in Texas when they thought they had free reign to hunt on a man's private property . fordy.. :mad: :)

8. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

Make sure your property is properly posted. If you find a dog wandering around on your property consider it yours. If it has a transmitter on it that is yours as well...you can always sell it on ebay.

If a poacher (that's what they are) comes on your property looking for their missing dog call the game warden on them for illegal hunting and trespassing. If the game warden is busy call the sheriff. If the trespasser points the muzzle of their weapon in your general direction I would consider that a threat. After the Vang incident I wouldn't take any chances in that respect.

One other thing you might consider is inviting the game warden to hunt on your property. I recently sat through the hunter safety course (only way I could get DW to do it) and afterwards invited the instructors (one is a game warden from one county over and the other is retired from a local SWAT team) to come hunt on our property. This ought to be interesting <G>.

As usual, just my 2 cents.

Mike

9. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

I said that what ( I'D ) do would be dangerous and illegal, that would be ME. Not disclosing on forum what (I'D) do. Will tell original poster if they want to know.

10. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.
    tnborn

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

On your no trespass signs, sign the name with you husband's Hunt Club (make one up) instead of your name as property owner. Hunters realize that a hunt club is usually made of of many members to confront whereas the owner is usually a single individual. Hunters will also cut other hunters some slack and will not hunt the property being hunted by others. They do not want the risk of being shot and their dogs to comingle with other dogs. Here in NC if you properly post and register your trespass signs with the game warden they will enforce the no trespass along with the game laws.

12. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

Something you can also do is lease the hunting rights on your farm. Around here in Northern NYS they go from $200-500 depending on the area involved. I think it's a real PITA having people on my place, but on the other hand, they run anyone else they see off the place, so you don't have to do it. And you get paid something for it instead of being furious and stressed everytime you hear a rifle go off close by, racing off in the truck to see if you can find the SOBs.

It's an option you might want to think about.

Jennifer

13. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Wonder what spikes and nail boards would cost???? :viking:

I've gone out & confronted hunters that were scouting on their loud ATV's suggesting they needed to think about the children, the horses they ride and the dogs around here.

The argument is that it's national forest & and they drew a tag for this area.
    I say "Yup, I'm not saying you can't, just think about the children, horses and dogs. They get the hint.

I've even put a portable radio in the pasture with LOUD music playing. Tee hee.

14. Garden Ear

Garden Ear A-Maize-ing

Next time you see someone tresspassing on your property, hit em in the head with a thick heavy book.

ROTFL..................

15. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

This is a very serious problem. We have had the same problem here. The men who came into our woods late at night and were moonlighting killed almost the whole herd off that was living in our woods by the spring. We have no trespassing signs up and they shot or ruined them. They waited for my husband to drive off to get me at work then drove their pickup into our driveway and dragged the deer down the driveway to their truck. Our neighbors came out and told them that we would shoot them if we caught them in our woods hunting after dark. How the neighbors heard them was they shot my cat right by my house! Big, brave hunters! Killing an innocent little kitty cat. I was furious! One of those men in a few years became homeless and was taking our animals to eat---1 a day for awhile until we finally caught him. He was living in the woods behind ours a ways and would walk here every day. We tied our English Shephard on a runner where he was coming out of the woods and he finally decided that going past her wasn't worth the trouble. She was very sweet and harmless but would run and bark up a storm whenever a stranger was near. The worst dogs to go after our animals have been hunting dogs and coon hounds. They very nearly wiped out all our geese and chickens last spring and summer. 2004 One got hit in the road going back home and never made it there. YAY! Not because he got hit---that is tragic--- but because he won't be back to kill again. We live in a rural town that is building up. Our wood lot is 8 acres but it is surrounded by big, new houses where kids play in the yards. Sometimes the kids will cut thru our woods going back and forth to their friends' homes. No trouble for us as long as they keep going and don't wreck anything. But the hunters are a big problem! There is just no safe direction for them to shoot as there are houses all around our land! We have been in our woods and have been shot at while cutting firewood. Once I called the state police and was told to just go in the house until they go away! I played dumb and asked him if it was ok if I just shot back at them. Hey! They were shooting at us! Well, maybe not at us but at a "deer" or other creature they saw or thought they saw. Hunting is fine---in its right time and place where it is reasonably safe for all.

16. Can a dog read posted signs? I use to run rabbits with beagles and from my experience if you have a young dog that you are trainning just about anything can go wrong. Your out hunting rabbits and the young dog runs across a deer scent and next thing you know that young pup is running a buck deer into the next county.

17. lonewolf

lonewolf Well-Known Member

In the state of Liberty and Freedom I create.
    I have only returned fire when fired upon by someone, but I have done plenty of vehicle immobilization through taking out engine blocks, tires, windshields (not if someone was in the vehicle) and have even confiscated equipment, deer, and even firearms at times.

Generally once they have an engine block taken out, they get the message. I've only had three get stupid and threaten to shoot me over the years. I calmly explained that they forgot where they were, that being in a remote area where cell phones can't get a signal, the sheriffs' deputies won't patrol and where gunshots happen so often that no one pays attention. I then ask if they would prefer to leave on foot or become coyote food. They changed their tune really fast.

I don't like doing what I have to do, but I've had windows shot out and a neighbor has lost livestock before because of trespassing poachers.

You can post land and you can create your own hunt club, and I'm not putting down those ideas, but the most determined poachers and trespassers will do whatever they think they can get away with. The methods to deter poachers/trespassers will depend on the severity of the situation. I've had to do what I've had to do because all the "gentle" methods didn't change my situation.

18. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

If people are hunting on your property during hunting season even with hunting permits they are poaching in a non hunting area. Call the police the DNRC the game warden and the county attorney over and over again till they get the idea that you want something done with your law enforcement tax dollars besides new tires on the cop cars! this will be one of those areas where the squeaky wheel will, indeed, get you some attention. i have had to do this in montana for two years running and this year so far we have not had a poacher come near our mountain top!

19. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I guess the most arrogant hunters that I have ever encountered where folks running deer with dogs. They had a gigantic club and would come over to the front of my pasture and turn their dogs loose. Theyd haul it across my pasture scaring the horses and such. I walked to the back twenty one day to hunt MY property and found three trucks sitting in my pasture. I asked them what they were doing and they said they had dropped the dogs off on the road about a half mile away and was waiting for them to cross that part of my pasture because it was open and in a funnel the deer would use. He then told me "you can shoot the deer if you want to" Well aint that sweet he gave ME permission to hunt MY land. So I stood around waiting and when they cleared the wood line I proceeded to drop three dogs one right after the other in about 15 seconds with a 300 winchester. I then explained that I had never hunted deer on the run before and I was sorry about the dogs and I walked away.

Then there are the ones that leave dogs behind because they are running late to get home to watch the game etc and leave them a couple days so they could eat my expensive game fowl Id drop them and pile em up at the end of the road comng in to my place.

I am sure everyone has heard the bs excuse for deer dogs right?

A dog cant read trespassing signs or know where property lines are.

I have heard that a million times. Well when they have 20,000 acres I find it hard to believe the dogs enjoy my lil postage stamp more for some reason. Maybe it was because I spent hundreds each year planting food plots etc while they sat on their butts etc etc

I have never turned down anyone that wanted to hunt my property and I have even gave others permission to hunt on the lease we have as well. Free of charge as long as you ask. Really it just comes down to letting me know your there and what section your hunting so it is safe for all. But I have no tolerance for those that make all hunters look bad.

tnborn you come on down and I will show you my patented tampon deer getter lol. WHo knows you might even kill you a critter to eat.

BTW the whole antler collector non meat user is right up there wiith a poacher in my eyes. Like the Nuge says

If you kill it you gotta grill it.

20. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

You all really sound like a bunch of idiots and pricks. In my state, and I assume most others, it is illegal to kill hunting dogs during the hunting season. I know that any one here who shot a trained hound would be liable for about $1500 each, and rightly so. Is your land so precious that you will kill a dog for touching it?

This is clear proof that when city people go rural, they don't leave the city, they bring it with them.