Deer hunters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by primroselane, Oct 10, 2004.

1. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

My county seat calls itself the deer captial of Texas. Don't know if we have the most, but if we don't, we're close.

For dozen or so businesses, deer season is Christmas. These businesses hire most of the lower paid workers. These workers have to take a lot off of deer hunters.

The worst deer hunters are the ones new to the area. Among locals, a service worker gets the same respect as a local teacher or minister (which much higher than the banker or lawyer). We don't talk to our animals the way some deer hunters talk to people waiting on them.

Today, two trucks of bow hunters drove up to the local convenience store. They parked at a slant taking up four spaces including the handicap one. They stayed about 12 feet out and made it hard for people getting gas.

The convenience store has a grill. The grill lady was making burgers for one lady and another lady was waiting to order. One of the deer hunters steps in front of both ladies and with the grill lady making burgers, in a loud Jersey/Philly dialect, starts rattling off several things he wants.

The grill lady is a little shocked by his behavior and stops what she is doing and asks what he wants. The deer hunter wants to contact a buddy and repeats the order prestissimo and fortissimo. The grill lady says that she needs to write it all down but ignoring her, deer hunter has already starting walking outside.

Deer hunter shortly comes back in. The grill lady stops her activity to get the deer hunters order just so she can get him out of there. Twice he made her put back what she picked up and get another item slightly larger.

Many people look forward to the beginning of deer season. Around here, many people look forward to the end of deer season. That's when we return to our sleepy West Texas town status.

Of course, there's the wildflower season, which is starting to out pull deer season, but that's a nicer crowd.

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Now I'm sure you know not all Deer Hunters are this way. :rolleyes: :D

big rockpile

3. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear of your problems.I can surely relate,maybe on a larger scale more permanent scale.I grew up here,in this military town(see Clarksville and Fort Camble).Used to be a small country town of around 25000 when i was 10years old now its closer to 150 000 most likely more.Im 32 now.Anyway most of these people didn't grow up here and half of them are not even from this area at all.So i can surely relate. :D
    Heck I'm still trying to learn to under stand some of there slang and or speech impediments.Keep trying to tell my self there not trying to be rude :D And for goodness sakes don't think about waving to them as they pass by,they dont have a clue!

We are planing to move out of here real soon, and back to the country.They can have this town they made! :(

4. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

These folks could just as easily have been bird watchers, rock hounds, (gasp) democrats......
    Boors come in all stripes. please don't paint all hunters with one broad brush.

5. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

And she should have said "you'll have to wait " and take care of her other customers first. If you let people walk on you, it surely will happen.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

avid hunter, married to hunter,
    my hubby would get his tail kicked by me if he ever acted that way, and frankly had i been there i would have stopped this man and addressed his supremely rude attitude!
    then i would have mentioned to him that deer can scent the smell of meat on a hunter ! as well as onions and garlic, and suggested a nice salad to him since thats what deer are used to :D yes it does make a difference !
    hubbs and i get at least a deer a year

7. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Primrose I am sooooo 1,000,000,000,000 % with you on this one, but I am also 1,000,000,000,000 % pro hunting from responsible hunters!

I know we had the discussion already on here about letting hunters use your land but I think the days of the responsible hunter are coming to an end as it is becoming a pop culture thing to hunt, thus people who don't know/care about hunting etiquette or property rights are getting into the game.

Living in the heart of the southern Black Hills we have impressive elk and white tail trophies. Unfortunately the people out here stalking them are less than award winning.

Let’s see, bow season has been open for 8 days and we have already had:

2 fences cut (no stock lost)

Several wheel tracks in the east pastures

A 35 gal plastic barrel full of sweet corn with some type of timer thingy, being run by an old car battery; also in the east pasture.

A deer stand mounted in one of our trees in the east pasture

An arrow stuck in a tree by the goats feed bin (300 feet from the house)

An arrow stuck in the wooden spools (goats play area way up in the north pasture)

I am truly sick of this happening every deer season. I have decided that if I ever find an empty vehicle on our property I just might have to accidentally put a few holes through it, just as I did the deer stand in MY tree and the barrel thingy on MY property.

I asked one of the deputies I saw parked in town and asked his opinion. He said purposely damaging someone personal property is a crime. BUT an “accident is an accident”. And with trespassers the local court always finds for the land owner in these “accidents” as the 2 judges are both huge land owners.

Is this an extreme position to take? Yes!! Is my stock getting out and causing an accident, thus getting me sued, also extreme? Damn right it is. The property is properly signed, fully fenced with field wire, barbed wire and electric tape, but they still cut through. And I’m sure the 2 arrows where the goats stay was no accident but a missed shot. Our Nubians are light brown and with the exception of huge drooping ears and lack of antlers probably look like a deer to city folks.

We never ever thought that our animals/children would have to become prisoners in their barn/home due to hunting season but that is what is happening. I would be willing to sell some land to a hunter for his use for the fair market value of $21k per acre but they don’t want to buy when they can sneak, steal and abuse.

8. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

We are seasonal prisoners here too. I live on a divided ranch surrounded by ranches. Older couples and younger couples like to go for walks. Locals watch for people and slow for safety and to not kick up dust. Neo-hunters hunters pass you on a dirt road doing 65 mph and leave you choking. What is scary is that they are probably not sober.

They sprinkle corn along the road and do a lot of night hunting. I'm sure they don't know where all the houses are.

Week before two of them closed off one of the two entrances to the grocery store because they didn't want to walk an extra fifty feet.

Many locals hunt. Some of the outsiders are good people. Like I said in the original post, The worst deer hunters are the ones new to the area. Too often they have little or no respect for people and property.

Had em to hang feeders on my property and mess up a nice tree with target practice.

9. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

In South Dakota the first numbers of a license plate tell you what county the owner is from. I have yet to see any close to local, not to mention all the out of staters. Because the western portion of the state is mainly rural they game department likes to give out the licneses to the eastern folks as they are then forced to stay in local motels and boost the economy.

I know the national forrest is for everyones enjoyment but some of us live here and don't appreciate the trash and fires left behind. While they may only be destroying the forrest it's our home.