Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
A & N Lazy Pond Farm
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some one told my DH that deer will swallow black walnuts, hull and all for food. This person says it is the only way they can eat them. Solo I thought I would ask here as I find it really hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
They do eat acorns by chewing them up, but Walnuts, not a chance. Their esophagus is too small, shells are really tough to break into, and their digestive system is not even close to tough enough to digest the hulls to release the meager nut meat inside.

I call Bull on this one, not to say a deer somewhere. sometime has never eaten one, but in a word NO not true.:hammer:

·
A & N Lazy Pond Farm
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know that is exactly what I tried to tell my hubby but his friend he hunts with is kind of a know it all. While he does know a lot about gardening and stuff, I am with you and call bull on this one.

Of course I will let DH and his friend believe what they want as it aint worth the argument.

Thanks
Nancy

·
Registered
207 Posts
snicker and laugh every time one of them says this.....inform kids if you have any that this ain't right.......they have it wrong it is bigfoot that eats walnuts this way.....

·
Registered
863 Posts
I just rough-butchered a doe and a buck this very afternoon (the meat is now chilling in the fridge for final butchering tomorrow) and, as previously stated by others, I have serious doubts that a black walnut, with husk and all, will squeeze down a deer's esophagus. Their esophagus is just way too small in diameter.

I do think that someone is pulling your DH's leg.

TRellis

·
Super Moderator
9,427 Posts
deer mouths are actually quite small , now squirrel love black walnut , that is what I bait the squirrel traps with

but the squirrel hull them then bury the hard shell and nut for later

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
If'n that was true I wouldn't have to scatter/toss what seems like millions of them (the walnuts) in my woods........ even though the deer do eat the hickory nuts and acorns they sure don't touch the walnuts. :yuck:
So what the squirrels don't get I do have to pick up :eek:gre: and get off the lawn - why - ever hit one with the lawn mower? :censored:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If they did I wouldn't have to go to the bother of hunting them. All I would do is stake out one of our wild black walnut trees and wait for a nice fat doe to choke to death when it tried to eat an un-hulled nut.:hysterical:

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
If'n that was true I wouldn't have to scatter/toss what seems like millions of them (the walnuts) in my woods........ even though the deer do eat the hickory nuts and acorns they sure don't touch the walnuts. :yuck:
So what the squirrels don't get I do have to pick up :eek:gre: and get off the lawn - why - ever hit one with the lawn mower? :censored:
Might as well mix work with play. Try a 5 iron.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
I have never seen a Deer eat Walnuts or Hickory Nuts. They will eat things like Osage Orange but it is during Cold weather, they will stomp it, break it up and eat the seeds.

big rockpile

·
in memoriam
12,697 Posts
I've never seen a deer eat Hickory nuts either and I have a bunch of trees. Last year (2013)was a bumper crop of hickory nuts too.

I realize wall nuts with the hulls on are big but if your hitting them with the mower blades you mowing roots not the grass.

:D Al

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Might as well mix work with play. Try a 5 iron.
Grandson tried that ONCE :facepalm: Don't know if'n it was a 5 iron or not but he sure hit them to places I wish he hadn't.......

alleyyooper - yep with a 54 inch deck on the mower there are places in my hilly, bumpy, uneven lawn that I do mow the roots. :ashamed: But after bout the second pass it does get smoother - leastwise in that one spot. :thumb: :grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts