Deer deturent?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by .:Becca:., Jul 6, 2005.

1. .:Becca:.

.:Becca:. Well-Known Member

I went out to the garden today (after leaving it 2 hours earlier) and 3 of my tomatoe plants were totally annihilated!! :grump: I couldn't believe it.

So, is there any good deer deturents? I need something that will work until I can get some kind of mesh to put over them. TIA!!! :bow:

2. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

I had some deer eat ALL of my green beans, had about a 12 foot fence up too.
    I was told to try and put up a few rags and spray perfume on it..I will try and see what happens.
    Scott

3. quietperson

quietperson Well-Known Member

We got some bobcat urine from a nursery catalog and the little vented plastic containers to hold the cotton balls after you soak them in the bobcat urine. We put one at each corner of the garden (ok so maybe that was too much, but we were really aggravated) and they kept away everything from rabbits to groundhogs to deer. Make sure you wash your hands well after soaking the cotton balls and placing them in the containers because that stuff is really nasty. But hey, it worked for us.

4. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

See my post in the "sea of weeds" thread. I'll tell you one thing I know about deer--they don't like walking on plastic. We had our garden behind the barn and the deer would actually watch me work in the garden. We'd see deer prints on the plastic when it was rainy but not much.

I've heard that spraying raw eggs on plants stops deer but I've never tried it. Bags of human hair from a hair salon or barber shop is supposed to help and so is hanging smelly soap.

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

My DH's friend regularly pees on the perimiter of his garden to deter deer. Has no problem. He does it all spring and summer. I just had some of his broccli. I got an unfixed dog, for the same thing. I have yet to see a wild animal in my yard. They go to the neighbors, who has an 8 foot fence.

6. Barb

Barb Well-Known Member

I asked a nursery once how they kept the deer out at night. They said they used "stinky" bags that you can buy but also soap. Told me to hang it around the garden - the stronger the smell the better. I tried this and it works. Buy some cheap bar soap like Irish Spring with a strong odor. I broke mine in thirds to save money. (a screw driver pounded in with a hammer works well). I put them in pieces of old nylon hose and tied them to stakes around the garden. You will need to change soap once in a while because they get used to the smell. Hair from a beauty shop or barber is also supposed to work well. Some people say a small battery operated radio left on in the garden keeps them away. Good Luck!

7. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

This is what we do. Hubby likes to walk out to the garden to take a leak. The six dogs always go with him. With three male dogs, one male human and three female dogs peeing around my garden I have had no problems with deer, rabbits, coons or possums. We have no fence or barrier of any kind in place yet either.

My neighbor can't keep the animals out of his garden. He has no dogs and obviously uses the facilities in the house!

8. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Go to about any garden center or nursery and buy a bag of Milorganite. Milorganite is 100% human manure (ie, processed sewage sludge) and it effectively repels deer.

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I want to add a description of another deer/raccoon/most varmint repellent we used. Roger rigged up a motion detector to a tripod attached to a light and a radio. The radio was wrapped in plastic to protect it from the rain. It was VERY effective. It even scared the dickens out of our neighbor who was walking through the back 40 to come to our house when he had tractor trouble.

I always had visions of deer dancing the polka out back there. :dance:

10. Oregonsparkie

Oregonsparkie Well-Known Member

I find that a 30-06 rifle and a hot frying pan works pretty good on deer... :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

dkhern likes this.
  11. smokie

smokie Well-Known Member

soap works great, especially the stuff that really has a smell to it.

12. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

male urine from human or dogs and big cats has always worked for us, the human and dog is free, have to buy the bobcat kind. heard the human hair works but never tried myself. smelly soap works but it keeps me away also.

13. .:Becca:.

.:Becca:. Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for all your tips. I am going to try out a few of them and see what we come up with. For now, I put some mesh type of stuff around it, but I want them to stay away from ALL of my garden, not just the tomatoes :)

LOL, dh was actuall considering this. But, it's a doe with a baby, so we don't want to kill it. These deer are not afraid of humans so much. I can walk outside and they will just stand there and stare at me. Dogs don't bother them at all. I hope one of these tips works :D

14. hugh

hugh Well-Known Member

Have tried lots of things from electric fences to sprays nothing seems to work. Tried the old fashion scare crow, this year. Seems to be working well. Have them on a post so when the wind blows they spin around. Plus pee on the pant legs. Went and bought slugs but they are never in the garden when I"m home.