Deer camp, season opens the 15th.

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by alleyyooper, Nov 7, 2006.

1. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Have had this property for a while now. Used to use a 22' travel trailer that never left the place, but Got tired of the Coleman furnace and other things acting up. Built this cabin in 2001. It is 24'x24' with a loft. Hunting partners,mother sold her home and didn't need furnture so we got a bunch of that to use. Also got a wood furnace from his daughter so we have lots of heat in there. No electric, they want $8,000 to run it to our place. We pump water with a pitcher pump from a well I drove.

[​IMG]

Here are 3 of our stands in different settings.

Over growen field and oak ridge.
    [​IMG]

Hard woods and cedar swamp edge.
    [​IMG]

My favorite blind, on the beach. I tend to over hunt it.
    [​IMG]

Early morning view.
    [​IMG]

:D Al

2. alleyyooper

All but the legs for the blinds were built from a old building a friend wanted torn down. The beach blind has a metal roof, had to spray expanding foam on it to keep the noise down during rain storms. The other two use shingles on 1x8 roof boards. Stain for the beach blind was from friends at work that had stuff they wanted disposed of. the other two are from HD OOP's stain $5.00 a gallon.

2003 buck I wrote a story about and made the Michigan Out Doors Magizine Dec. 2004 issue. Nothing huge, but I got it with my dads rifle, he passed away in June 2004.

[​IMG]

3. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Great looking hunting place there Al. What county are you in? We used to have land in Wexford county. Have a lot of great memories of our Michigan deer hunts. :rock:

4. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Looks good to me :dance:

big rockpile

5. alleyyooper

Our deer camp is in Delta county.
    I grew up near, and call Cadillac my home town. I still deal with Don's auto clinic when we buy a new ride.
    My mom and all my sisters and brother still live near there.

6. jross

jross swamper

I don't see no tarpaper, or a ring of yellow snow.

7. alleyyooper

:shrug: Tar paper, for what?
    Ring of yellow snow? we use jugs in the blinds and then pour them into the tubes when we leave at sunset. You can see the white tube best in the picture of my beach blind.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Looks like a great place to hunt! When I bought my country place 27yrs ago it had a well, septic & elect going to a 10x10 well house with a toilet,sink, & shower & the well pump. No hot water. We now have a 20x36 cabin with a 36x10 screened porch & propane heat. In the old days we used to camp out in a wall tent. I originally bought the place for hunting, but it has become our future retirement home. The hunting's still great though, but it's a lot more comfortable now.

9. alleyyooper

bgak47, Sounds really nice. Our place was to be our retirement place too. Bought it many years before I retired though.
    I retired in April 2001 and my dad got really sick in May. My mom needed help so I spent a lot of time helping till dad went to the great spirit. Soon after that My wifes dad got bad off and she spent 18 nights in the hospital with him. We decided then to just keep it as a vaction place till our folks are gone, since we are the only ones retired and can help out. Our beach property is over 7 Hours away form any of our family.
    I have even given thought to selling that property and buying a bigger place closer to the family. But then deer season rolls around and I remember the waves of blaze orange near the family and say NA.

10. jross

jross swamper

I was quoting from the The Second Week of Deer Camp by the Yoopers.

" It's the second week of deer camp,
    and only one day to go,
    All around the deer camp.
    is a ring of yellow snow.

Or ticks in our hair and a tarpaper shack in the woods.

I can relate, being a south Jersey Piney.

It is great camp, now to go look for the tube:)