Deer Antlers and Moose Racks

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by blufford, Sep 12, 2005.

1. blufford

blufford Well-Known Member Supporter

I typed antler into ebays search line and found over 1,000 listings of people selling antlers or racks some made into art or practical items such as furniture. I'd would like to hear stories of where you find your racks and what you do with them.

2. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

My husband spends lots of time every spring walk the hills. It is a disease!

Antlers of all sort, elk, deer, moose are piled up in the corner, stacked , hung on the wall.

We live in Wyoming but I won't tell you where. That pile of antlers will support me in my old age.

Jill

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Sheds are common everywhere in the West (dry weather helps).

4. Be careful, in some states such as here in Oklahoma it is illegal to have antlers unless they came off of a legally harvested deer. If a game warden catches you with antlers and you can't prove that they came off of legal harvested deer you could be fined heavily.

I know, that is stupid! But it came straight from the horses mou! I mean from the game wardens mouth. Also illegal to sell wild game parts except hides during fur bearing season.

5. Phantomfyre

Phantomfyre Black Cat Farm Supporter

I have 3 whitetail racks on skulls, all found in the woods behind my mom's farm in MN. I'm not exactly sure how you count points, but the largest of mine is (I think) over 14-points. HUGE. Found him in a smampy part of the woods - guess he either fell through the ice and drowned (can't imagine a wise ol' buck doing that) or was shot and fell into the swamp. If he was shot, the hunter that lost him was one sorry storyteller!

I haven't done anything with them - they're in my barn sitting on a couple hay bales. DH (a city boy) thinks they're "creepy" and doesn't want them out where he can see them. Despite that, no, I don't want to get rid of them. (My neighbor asks every time I see him.) Eventually, I would like to display them somehow so they will pay my respects to the deer that carried them.

I wouldn't pay money for a set of antlers, but wasn't about to leave them for the mice to devour, either.

Diana

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

This is weird but my 3 Great Pyrenees bring them home. Always to the same place..the lane between the barn and pasture. I have 3 complete skull and antler sets that the dogs dragged home over the past few years. Good sized ones too. I also find shed antlers around our property.

7. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

"they're in my barn sitting on a couple hay bales"

Antlers are a favorite food of mice---you might want to put then in a more mouse-proof location.

8. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a couple of racks in the garage, some were found on our property others were given to me. I turn them into buttons, pipes..etc.. We are Civil War re-enactors so we use the buttons and such..

9. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend of ours uses them for handles on knives. They look very nice.

10. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

They can be worked into stoppers for powderhorns, or hollowed out for use as powder measures. I have several of various sizes for different black powder guns.
    I've seen whistles made from them too.
    I have one nice one that will be a freestanding candelabra next year. :)
    Different states laws are weird, some states allow you to keep sheds but not if any piece of the skull is attached.
    Painterswife
    Hows the bird?
    Lex

11. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

The bird is fine(I hope)

Released him. There was a kestrel that was flying around my head this summer responding to my talking and whistling. I am hoping it was him.

Jill

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

my college had chandeliers made from them in most of the dining halls. In Germany at Braunfels Castle (the guy who founded New Braunfels in TX) they have two huge antlers intertwined- they say the stags died from getting their horns locked that way.

13. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

I have walked the woods here and have never found any :mad: I wish I knew where I was NOT looking so I could find some.

14. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I've never found any sheds, either.
    But around here, they tell me, if you don't find them within a few days of being shed---the rodents have then eaten.

DS found a Moose antler shed a few years ago.
    Using a magnifying glass you could see all the teeth marks on it where the mice had been gnawing.