Deer and other garden thieves

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by ozarkyehti, Jul 29, 2004.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

Has anybody tried this to keep deer/others out.

I read that if I put whole bar soap in small cloth bags and hang the bags around my garden that the deer get a wiff of it and associate it with humans and stay away.

I suppose deodarant soap or something that has a bold frangrance ( Irish Spring, Zest ) would work well. You could buy them at the dollar store.

This seems logical to me. Has anybody else tried this our have any ideas about it?

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Didn't work. Nor did the p on the edges. Nor did the lights. Nor did the fake dog. Nor the egg spray. Finally put some old sheets over the plants at nite. That stopped em. They were jumping 8 ft to go over the fence and eating the tomatoes under the living room window. Running out and yelling didn't help either. They just looked at me like I was stupid!

3. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have successfully fenced deer out of the gardenfor several years.

I used 1" black plastic mesh fencing and attached it to T posts every
    10 feet or so. It's about 6' tall. I didn't think it was going to work at first,
    because they could easily jump it.

I think the reason it does work is because it blows in the wind, plus it is
    hard to see. It didn't cost very much. I think I bought two 100' rolls.
    After about 3 years I've got a couple of places that have started to tear,
    so I will probably have to patch it this fall.

In the spring, when it is time to weed-whack around the garden, I just
    untie it from the bottom of the T posts, roll it up and tie it and whack away.
    Then I just let it drop down and tie it again.

-tonto

4. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

A fairly cheap easy solution that worked for us is to put tall metal posts at the corners and depending on the size of the garden some along the sides and string clear monofilament fishing line every 6 inches or so. From what I understand the deer know something is there but are not able to see it so they don't know how high up it is. Worth a try.

5. Juanbob

Juanbob Member

You might try www.plotsaver.com
    I have some friends that have used it to keep them out of there food plots before

6. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't seem to have trouble with the deer - they are in the field we see the tracks and have flushed them out when we go for walks, but they don't seem to stop and nibble. I'm not complaining at all. The bunnies also leave the veggies alone and sit around eating the plantain. The only problem we have is the box turtles - they love tomatoes! They also lay their eggs in our field so we do very little to discourage them.

7. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I have a couple fields that came with old 2-3 strand barbed wire,
    the highest being about 3.5 feet. When I decided to grow for
    market, I put up another 6 foot fence of 2 X 4 welded wire six feet
    inside the barbed wire. It has kept the deer out for three years.
    I think they don't have good depth perception, and also don't want to
    jump into close areas (between the two fences), and may not be able
    to jump the 6 foot horizontal distance--especially if their depth
    perception can't tell them exactly what that horizontal distance
    is.
    I also walk the dogs around the edges of the garden, hoping their scent will
    help, plus put rotten eggs around occasionally. I've also tried tying aluminum
    pie pans to the top of the 6 foot fence. It makes a noise with the wind, and
    also reflects light, even from the moon. Using multiple deterrents can't hurt.
    Ann

8. tara313134

tara313134 Member

I don't have a deer problem, but I have heard they don't like the smell of blood so some say to use blood meal around the garden. Also bird netting is another idea I have seen used for fencing. I've gotten rolls of it for 7x90ft at around 20 dollars and is easy enough to repair rips. I have had some for around 10 years in working condition. The spacing is a good idea that was mentioned earlier, deer like enough space to be able to jump so high.

9. Terrabus

Terrabus Middle-Aged Delinquent

There's always the human hair trick, which I've heard works well. Take hair from a barber shop, sprinkle it around the edges, the deer smell it and leave.

Of course, I knew an old timer who had a dog that loved to chase deer. That dog would chase them all day and night. The deer knew it, too.

Ted