Deer #2 and #3. Trying to catch up with rockpile!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by r.h. in okla., Nov 29, 2003.

1. Trying to catch up with rockpile---not really. 3 deer is about the most my family will eat in a years time. So I'll just let rockpile be the winner on who catches the most.

Been wondering if I was ever going to see another deer this year! The hunting has gotten hard, mostly due to all the hunting pressure. However this morning about 7 a.m. I had a little 8 point come by my treestand. He never knew what happened. Then about 8:15 a.m. several does come walking by, so I filled my doe tag also. It's not very often I fill both my tags in the same day.

I still have a bow tag to fill but he will have to be a monster buck before I try to fill it. Also still have the option of buying two more tags before this year is up but only if I catch that big wall hanger with my bow first. But I may just spend more time with my girls and do some more squirrel and rabbit hunting. They love that.

2. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

Good luck with your hunting, my brother in law hasn't seen one to shoot at yet, a young buck came up in my front yard about a week ago, the dogs where asleep, and the guineas chased it away. next year we plan to plant forage just for deer on our south end.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Rh, here is the absolute best recipe that I have every used for venison burger. Thought you may enjoy it!
    Salisbury Patties

1 pound ground venison
    1 package dry onion soup mix
    ¼ cup bread or cracker crumbs
    1 egg
    2 tablespoons oil
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 ½ cups water
    1 can mushrooms

Use a fork and lightly combine meat, one-half onion soup mix, crumbs, and egg. Add a small amount of milk to aid in helping mixture bind. Shape into patties and brown in skillet in oil. Pour off most of the fat. Add remaining soup mix and flour. Gradually stir in water and mushrooms. Cover and cook over low heat for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. ajoys

ajoys Well-Known Member

My sister has a friend from Alabama and he moved out here and I let him rent a room from me. He brought with him some deer meat. That was the first time I have ever eaten deer. I enjoyed it.

If I ever make it out of the city this is something that I want to go do. Hunting etc.....

Congrats on getting the deer.

5. Hey thanks agmantoo, I'll have to give that one a try. It sounds delicious and it has many of my favorite ingredients in it.

6. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Congratulations R.H.! DH and I have our bucks, now we have our doe tags to fill.

7. I usually kill from 3 to 5 does every year on a damage permit. And most times all I have to do is walk out into the yard to kill the permit limit. When hunting season opens I'm in the woods, not hunting deer, waiting for trespassers.

8. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Congrats r.h. Since I'm in OK too, I'm curious about what part of the state that you hunt. I hunt in SE,near Cloudy. I got a nice doe,but I didn't have a lot of room in the freezer, so I donated about 1/2 of the meat to Jesus House in OKC. ( I split a 1/2 side of bison with a friend in Sept) I live & work in Midwest City(for now) & it's quite a drive to my place near Cloudy, so I only got to hunt last SAT & SUN. I didn't see too many bucks, & I'm wondering if it's because of the warmer than usual weather? Good Hunting to everyone & be carefull out there! ;)

9. begak47, I'm way up here in northeast okla. Delaware county that is. I'm thinking the same thing on the bucks as you are. In fact I haven't seen too many killed bucks with swollen necks at all this year. My bucks neck wasn't swollen very much at all and a cousin of mine killed a 8 point yesterday in the same location I was at and his wasn't swollen very much either. Just seems like a really odd year for rutting this year.

10. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

R.H. I think that it must be the warm weather this year. The bucks ain't in full rut yet.

11. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Two down and one to go. Antlered deer that is. TN allows three bucks for the season, then you buy a special endorsement for the doe hunts. I got a spike with my wifes .50 flintlock ( I sold mine), then got a nice 6pt with my new Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70, stainless no less.
    Saw another spike tracking a doe this morn but couldn't convince him to stop in either of the two open shots I had. Hunting a tight eastern swamp is something else.
    If anyone likes spicy foods let me know & I'll post recipes. Karen makes a nice curry and a vindaloo from venison.
    Good luck to all.

12. cowgirlone

I would love to have them WyOmn! Could you post them for us? Please?? :D

Agmantoo, If this is the same recipe you posted awhile back, I'll sure vouch for it! It's good! I was going to mention to you that I make my own onion soup mix, if you're interested, I'll give you the recipe. I seem to use lots of that stuff.

13. Well come on everyone, post those recipes! I'm the chef here in my house so I'm always trying new recipes that deal with wild game that I have harvested.

14. Upham

Upham Well-Known Member

I'll second that I'd love to have the recipes. "Onion soup" I'd love to have one too!
    Up

15. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member

I like to take about a pound of ground venison, add a package of taco seasoning, make patties and grill or fry. Top them with grilled onion, ortega chilis, jack cheese and your favorite picante sauce.

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Congrats r.h. I went with my Son this evening trying to find a Doe.I did find a New Hunting Knife laying on the ground. :cool:

big rockpile

17. tambo

tambo Well-Known Member

R.H. congratulations.I went Friday and didn't see anything.DH killed a doe and BIL killed a buck and doe Sat.

I didn't go Sat because it was 24 degrees.I wimped out.Wished I went when I saw what they got.

Probably won't get to go this weekend because DH has guard drill.

Tambo

18. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Congratulations r.h. - that is great news. Venison in the freezer is always welcome around here. I haven't had a chance to go out but once so far this season. Hope that changes soon - I hear the bucks are beginning to chase the does around - next week should be the real kick off.

I want vension recipes too - I'll try and attach a thread with my Mom' tamale recipe, as well as a really simple sausage recipe as well.

editted later: well shoot, I did something wrong during the search - couldn't come up with the post or threads.

I'll keep looking - it was too involved to retype it.

19. cowgirlone

Animal, that recipe sounds great. Thanks!
    I can vouch for J.R.'s recipes too, they are fantastic!

Up, here is the recipe for onion soup mix, makes one batch.

Onion Soup Mix
    4 tsp. beef bouillon
    8 tsp. dry minced onions (or onion flakes)
    1 tsp. onion powder
    1/4 tsp. seasoned salt

Here's my favorite Venison Summer Sausage recipe
    3 lb venison burger (I mix mine with pork fat)
    1 cup water
    1 tsp. mustard seed
    1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    1/4 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. onion flakes
    2 TBs. Tender Quick
    2TBs. liquid smoke
    Mix all and chill overnight. Shape into logs on a cookie sheet and bake 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. This makes three long logs about 1 1/2 inch in diameter, just the right size to slice and eat with a ritz cracker. :D

20. This is my recipe for deer meat, in the crock-pot
    2-3 pounds of meat
    1/2 cup real maple syrup
    1 tsp.cinnamon
    1 bottle of Italian dressing
    1 can of tomato paste
    some onions
    cook on high for 5-6 hours