Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to replace our 3 yr old 2 hp Flint and Walling (19 gpm) (too big) for a 3/4 hp Little Giant (or other) deep well pump. Any one have any experience with this brand, or others they could recommend?
It is working fine, just dont need that big of a pump, hoping to lower elec. bill :)

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Give some information on the well.
Is this a submersible or a jet pump?
How deep is it drilled?
What is the static water depth?
What is the recovery rate?
What is the voltage at the well?
How many GPM do you anticipate pumping?
Answer this and someone here will assist it determining the pump you need.
I truly doubt that you will save enough to switch out the pump. Switching to a large bladder storage tank would save power and be a lot cheaper.

·
Still an :censored:
15,870 Posts
The Little Giant pumps I've used are submersibles for shallow use in water maybe 4' deep. They've been reliable. If you're concerned about electrical usage look for a pump with a variable frequency controller. The pump speed varies with demand. If the system is at design pressure, the controller shuts the pump down. They're more common with municipal and industrial setups. Gould makes an Aquaboost unit. I think that may just increase low water pressure from another source rather than serve as the prime pump. That may be a starting point for further research.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
never heard of little giant brand, but Goulds is best brand out there just my opinion, wouldnt think about no other brand.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just installed a Flotec pump and tank this year. Something similar to this one. Mine was 3/4hp, 3 wire. Its down about 250ft, with water at 190ft. Cost around $325.

If you get a deep well pump that goes down the well, I sugest you get the 3 wire instead of the 2 wire. 2 wire is cheaper, but the 3 wire has the starting capacitors above ground. The starting caps tend to be what needs to be serviced as long as you don't abuse the pump.

Tank was around $160 on sale, and has a drawdown of about 10gallons.

Concerning running costs...

Is the pump a submersible pump already? If it is, I don't think you will save a lot by getting a smaller pump. Most of the energy used is going into lifting the water. Not a lot being wasted, unless you're wasting water.

Is the pump short cycling? The system should have a big enough tank so the pump stays off for at least several minutes once it shuts off. If it just cycles on and off, its hard on the pump, and that might be an area to increase the efficiency.

You can buy a lot of energy for the price of a new pump, if the new pump is only being purchased to save money/energy.

Michael

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
InHisName,
I need to share something that you will have a problem believing and others here will contradict. You will not get the benefit that you anticipate from going to a smaller pump. An electric motor in a submersible well pump application will only draw as much power as needed to perform the task. You are going to need at least a 3/4 hp motor to pump from around 200 feet to get good volume and pressure. The 2 HP motor you now have may have more pumping volume than needed and that you are plumbed for but when a centrifugal pump output is restricted the load on the motor will go DOWN not Up. There is no justification for changing the pump as the power consumption will not be noticeably reduced. Save your money and leave it alone. Get the large tank however, one with approximately 30 gallons of draw down. If you will adjust the pressure switch to a 20/40 or 30/50 setting those will reduce the length of the run time. Leave the old tank still installed to increase drawdown and to supplement storage to avoid frequent stop/starts which will save money. I failed to tell you that for just household water needs it takes very little money to run the pump. I can supply drinking water to 100+ cattle that drink up to 30 gallons per day for less than $5 per month. I have a separate meter on this pump. Do this for me and reply. Put some food coloring in the tank on the toilet(s) and look in the bowl in 30 minutes to see if the water changes to the color of the food coloring.

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
When hubby is not present will you do the food color test so I will hush?
If your hubby adjust the pressure switch, the schrader valve in the bladder tank will need to be bled to where the bladder tank with no water pressure from the well is set at 2 lbs. below the cut in pressure of the pressure switch, this is important. Try the 30psi cut in and the 50psi cut out first to see how the reduced pressure meets your satisfaction.
How do you heat hot water? If by electricity have you noticed excessively hot water? There are a number of things in the home that will run the power bill up faster than the well pump. If you want to get an idea of the actual usage of power for the well buy a cheap 110 volt electric clock. Have hubby to wire the clock to the cold side of one contact on the pressure switch and the other wire to neutral. When the well kicks on the clock will run. With the clock set at high noon monitor the hours that the clock runs for some fixed number of days and you can average how many hours it runs over a few weeks to a month. Then you can measure the amperage that the pump draws. Do that and some math and you can calculate the power consumption or if you will provide me with the inputs I will calculate for you.
Replacing your pump with an equivalent quality to the F & W that you now have with hired equipment and labor will cost you approximately $800. Putting a cheaper pump in will probably cost you more over a 10 year period as you will most likely have to replace it in a few years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I ended up using a Grundfos 1/2hp pump and its been doing really good and low power draw at about 10gpm at 140' not really a deep well but I have found the quality of the Grundfos pumps to be very good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts