Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to replace the pump, after 20 years it just flat wore out... 5" casing ... 206' deep ... static water level is 60' ... pump has been at approx. 160' for the past 40 years and there has never been a problem. Are there any advantages going with the 230v pump instead of replacing the 115v?

thanks

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
The voltage drop would be slightly less with the 230 volt. How far away from the main breaker box is the wire that is feeding the well? The pressure switch points would last longer as the current is less across the points.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Around here, that's a moot point. No place stocks 115 volt submersibles for potable water.

R

·
0 Posts
You can go either way but the main point is how much power you need to deliver the water. 1/2 horse, 3/4 horse? That deep of a well I would go at least a 3/4 horsepower pump. Also, how much room do you have in your panel box. Since a 110v line is already ran all that is needed is for a electrician to rehook the wires to a double pole breaker (if there is enough room for a double pole breaker) and a 220v pressure switch installed.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,657 Posts
If the one there now lasted 20 years why change anything? Evidently its been fine

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Jim S. said:
Around here, that's a moot point. No place stocks 115 volt submersibles for potable water.
Same here. I'm not aware of a 115v submersible that's even available anymore.

Even if the 115v is available I would still recommend going with the 230v.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For solar applications 115v is used a good bit. Check out Grundfos submersible pumps. They have several that are available.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
funny you should mention the room in the panel board! ... about that ..

we are also rewiring the whole house (new panel included) and the new panel will be located about 5 ft from the well head in the garage. So i can go with either voltage. The pump previous to this one was in place for 20 years also and was taken out by a lightning strike. I believe the old red jacket i pulled out was a 1/2 hp ... can't read the label anymore but in their current product line i can't find a 3/4 hp in 115v...

thanks for the input ...keep it comin ... I'm taken my time with this project

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The 230 volt will operate at half the amperage of the 115 volt unit. It will also operate more efficiently. That is why in commercial usage motors come in higher voltages and are also commonly on 3 phase power. Even for a smaller pump I would go with the 230 since you have a new panel and it is so close. I would also size up the pump HP since you are doing this -- might prevent a problem if the water table should drop and you suddenly have to pump from deeper or more often.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
We just did this very thing. And just as FYI, T.S.C. still sells 115 volt pumps...I know because we put one in last year. We bought our house last Aug. and had all the wiring replaced. They had a 60 amp service with the breaker panel on the back porch (all the old houses around here are wired up the exact same way! And everyone's breaker panel is on their porch). We had everything replaced and had to replace the water line coming from the well to the house. The pump was about 10 years old, but hadn't been used in the last 3 or so years as no one was occupying the house. So, when we replaced the line, we went ahead and replaced the pump. Dh kicked aorund the idea of changing it to a 230, but went ahead and put in a 115. Our pump is hooked up to a small light on the milkhouse and the light comes on when the pump is running. Well, when the electricians *tested* the electric, dh looked out and the small lightbulb (like a nightlight bulb!) was glowin' like the sun! Luckily it tripped the breaker and didn't fry the pump, which was installed by dh only 2 weeks prior to this episode! So, long story short, our pump worked great until we had an electrical storm last weekend and it got zapped. Hallelujia, it was still under warranty!! So, dh decided to just go ahead and put in a 230.

So, that's our story :)

Good luck!
Shawna

1 - 11 of 11 Posts