Deep Pit Barbecue

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, May 10, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

I posted to the cooking site but thought I'd grovel for your expertise as well :) I am cooking a goat for a barbecue this weekend and as one of my favorite memories is eating wild big that was deep pit 'cued, I thought I'd try it. I found a site on MOTHER EARTH news that has a reasonably simple method...3' by3' by 3' pit, 2 1/2 feet of really hot coals, green alder sapling logs on that, meat wrapped in brown paper bags and 2 sheets of soaking wet newspaper, then metal lid and covered in dirt with a blanket to keep in the heat. Ok, how does that sound? I hope to use a few layers of thick foil instead of the paper. Should I still wrap in wet newspaper? It says 16 hours, another says 24 hours. What say ye barbecue folk? I would LOVE any help you can offer up. I'm off to dig me a pit (all the while praying a strong motivated person walks up and offers to help!) at the party site.

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

We roasted a seven month old, cryptorchid, nigerian buckling for fourth of July last year. I think he was about twenty - thirty pounds. I wish I could remember the website I used for instructions! There was a lot of info out there on the web, but this one actually told you how many hours to the pound?

Anyway, we built up a huge fire in the pit late the night before. We scraped aside the coals the next morning, laid the goat in the pit, and then covered him with coals, palm branches and then buried the rest with plain old dirt! He was in there six or seven hours. The goat was placed on a metal roasting pan, with onions, garlic, and other good things - then the whole thing wrapped in tin foil.

It tasted incredible! Really, really good.

Niki

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Jcran, did you cook your goat?

How did it turn out?

Can you share how you did it?

And how did it taste?

We're having a family reuinion next weekend and have 2 wethers that are the perfect tender size to contribute to the party. Any hints or tips for me?

Hmmmmm.... I suspect that there is not going to be any hole-digging going on tho! You hit solid rock about 6 to 12 inches down, so we would like to do the goat in the smoker.

4. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would think a goat would cook a bit quicker than a hog. We smoke our goats on a smoker pit. We use a marinading sop on it during cooking and it comes out GOOD! jcran, your plan sounds like a good one, using foil instead would be fine. the meat should fall off the bone. remember. goat does not have as much meat to it as a hog does.

Ark, i assume those are the two wethers that are for sale. Butcher them several days prior to the reunion and let them age in the refridgerator crisper drawer. Goat is great BBQ'ed. Can't beat it. Cook it like brisket or something. We cook it and don't eat all day then wolf it down like animals.

It is really hot right now, so butchering will be a pain. Get up real early, REAL early and do it then. Don't worry about all the little goat hairs that will be left on the meat, just scrub them off the best you can, they will cook off.

Have a hack saw on hand to cut up the carcass.

Get rid of those wethers, you will be glad you did! Yummy, for sure!

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Diane!!
    Why didnt I think of asking you! :shrug:
    Yes, we really need to get at least the bigger wether butchered. He is probably 75 pounds, and 3.5 months old. Saanen.
    How long do you leave it on the smoker? We've butchered several already, but have not tried cooking one whole yet.
    It may not be the wisest idea to try something like this for the first time when company is coming!! OH MY!! :nono:
    Well, we'll have other meat for back up. I hope we do it right! In the past we have always butchered a wether at a year old after showing him at the county fair.
    Thanks for the help!
    Rachel

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

If he is a 75 lb dairy wether, he will probably dress out at 35 plus lbs...dairy give about half there weight in meat. I don't know how long you would leave yours on, each pit is different of course. I try not to dry mine out, I wrap mine in foil even in the smoker pit if it looks to be drying out...I do that with brisket too after it has cooked awhile and is browned and yummy looking. Foil keeps the juices in. I posted a sop recipe on dairygoatsplus that i use."uncle charlie's sop recipe"...It's in the recipe section. I guess you would want to put the meat on too early instead of too late....you could always hold it over and have it to serve later if it got done to soon, better than not having it ready in time. And yes, it's good to have other meat on standby just in case.....and it is always good to have good goat meat cooked...if you can win folks over on how yummy the BBQ is, it helps to create a market in the future for all of us!

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Oh yeah!! I remember you posting that recipe a while back. I'm gonna go check it out. I really hope I can talk my hubby into doing this. It's the shooting of the goat that we both hate - after that, either one of us is willing to do the entire job alone as long as we dont have to shoot it. LOL He WILL do it so that I dont have to, but I know he hates it.
    If it turns out tough, then I wont let it be known that there was ever any goat meat! Dont wanna ruin the reputation. :p My father in law has shot and cooked a wild goat a couple times and no one could eat it, it was so tough.

8. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I am usually the goat shooter around here. I lead the goat away from the others as if there is nothing wrong. I give the goat a pan of delicious grain and let the goat really dig into it and let it really get focused on eating. That is when a goat is the very happiest. The tail is wagging. Then....the goat goes to goat heaven. It never knows fear.

Goat meat, or any meat, will be tough if the animal has been chased or has been frightened prior to being killed. A relaxed animal has more tender meat. Also, aging the meat a few days prior to cooking tenderizes the meat. Then, the method of cooking helps to make the meat tender. Keeping the meat juicy is important as goat meat does not contain much fat. So "sopping" the meat is important to keep it from drying out. :)

9. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Diane, we butchered the 2 boys on Sunday, and they have been on ice ever since. Last night I decided to try cooking a couple of legs REALLLLLL slow and low, and the meat turned out SO tender! I wasnt able to smoke it, so I didnt use your uncle's SOP recipe, and we liked the recipe I used "OK".
    I am really hoping your recipe will be a LOT better. :p Cant wait to try it! I'm just going to keep that meat really cold until Friday then slow cook it out on the smoker.
    Thanks for all your help - we're really looking forward to tricking all the family members and not telling them it's cabrito until afterwards. (City people, you know!) :angel: But, what the heck will we say it is? Oh well, Kris will make something up. :dance:

Forgot to ask: how far away do you shoot from, and what gun do you use? One time, we used a .22 like Emily does and it was HORRIBLE - had to reshoot 3 more times. :Bawling: Yes, I was crying like a baby. Yes, we shot in the same spot as recommended - back of head.

10. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

"Forgot to ask: how far away do you shoot from, and what gun do you use? One time, we used a .22 like Emily does and it was HORRIBLE - had to reshoot 3 more times. Yes, I was crying like a baby. Yes, we shot in the same spot as recommended - back of head."

Feel at the base of the skull where the spine attaches This is the "brain stem" . A shot there is instantly fatal and painless. Fire from as close as possible without actually touching them and angle it so it goes into the skull. If you shoot too high you only hit the upper and frontal lobes

11. JoAnne in CA

JoAnne in CA Well-Known Member

We roasted a pig last spring with the help of one of my coworkers, who is from Samoa. Actually he did it all. First we collected river rock--small to medium in size. We piled it into the pit, then added wood and let it burn until ash was left. We then spread out the rocks. The pig was prepared by stuffing it with onions, garlic and assorted herbs. At that point we added some of the hot rocks to the inside of the pig, wrapped it in foil, set it on a piece of chicken wire and laid it in the rocks, placing some of the rocks against the sides of the pig. Then topped it with lots of layers of wet newspaper, a tarp and the dirt. It was done in half the time of other pit roasts we had experienced and was delicious! My Samoan friends says, "Why would you want to start cooking one day and have to wait til the next day to eat it?"

12. animalfarmer

animalfarmer Well-Known Member

Hi Ark,I sent you a P.M. It may be of some assistance.Regards,John.

13. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info John!!! VERY helpful.

I was just curious how Diane does the shooting - my DH has his way of doing it, but 30-30 shells are a lot more expensive than .22s. John's way is the cheapoest, I reckon! :p

Thanks for the exact location Barefoot!

Joanne - I'd be tempted to try that but we'd have to hire a rock driller to dig us a hole, and it would take hours to get one big enough. :p Solid rock. Guess I'll have to stick with the smoker for slow cooking.

14. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter