Dectomax

Discussion in 'Goats' started by trickham, Jan 12, 2005.

1. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard of using Dectomax (doramectin) injectable for goats?

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

The sort answer is yes, it is widely used, it is of course used orally and is used at the bottle dosage, roughly 1cc per 22 pounds.

Now the long answer. :)

Ivermectin has lost the patent on there golden cow. Now every Tom Dick and Harry can make their own Ivermectin products, and boy do they! The injectable 1% is the same drug as the pouron .5%, it is also less expensive and you use less of it when purchased in the smallest amounts. Now for large herds there is an unbelievable buy on pour on Ivermectin in the Jeffers catalog that just came out. Bovimec 5mg/ml Ivermctin it is only $164.95 for 5 liters, the same amount of Agrimectin would be $300, Eprinex would be $328.95 and the same amount of Dectomax .5% Ivermectin would be $364.95.........even with the use of the injectable Dectomax Injectable is $139.95 for the 250 ml size and the Generic same drug same ML..200 is only $59.95!! So it pays to shop around and to compare the drug names, not just the company name.

So if Iveremctin works well in your herd, that Bovimec is an incredible buy. Vicki

3. trickham

trickham Well-Known Member

Thanks Vicki :)

I had not heard that Ivomec had lost its patent, but I had been thinking that all the 'mectin' products were probably pretty much the same thing.

That helps my decision making a whole bunch.

Thanks again :)