Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had an interesting conversation with several friends this week.. so now I'd like to get some other feedback. For those of you who are married or living with a SO.... Who makes the decisions concerning the decorating "style" of the house? Dose the man of the house give his direction and the woman works around his parimeters? Or is your house "whatever makes mama happy, makes us all happy"?

I've talked to several men who swear they would never live in a "girly" house and refuse to let thier wives put up anything lacy or floral. I've talked with my dad and his opinion was he didn't care and whatever made mom happy.. he said floral bedding didn't bother him because the lights were out when he was in it anyway. And then I saw pictures of a friend house and EVERYTHING was pink and lacy (lace curtians, lace table cloth), even had victorian dolls all across the mantle and I thought... wow, how would her husband feel in that house?

What are things like at your house?

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
I essentially make all the decorating decisions. However, my house is decorated in what I refer to as "rustic junk" ;)

Old tack on the walls, old bottles and rusty gizmos on shelves, antique furniture, orange-crate end tables, and so on. Even our bedspread is a denim quilt made from Dh's old jeans.

So yeah, I make the decisions, but they're pretty husband-friendly. :)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
My husband will balk at me redoing anything but once it's done he likes it enjoys it.. I have found that if I just do it he doesn't care--he just hates the 'decision making' part of it...QB

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Here we are about 50/50 in decorating... Although it helps that we both like the same things.... Country style, with the hunting theme mixed in.... Our bedroom is ALL mosey oak camo (bed, curtains, etc).... Living Room is country, with nice deer & pheasant pictures.... Kitchen is ALL MINE, rolling pins & apples.... Office is ALL DH, all his animal mounts, gun cabinet, bows, etc.... and the Bathroom is country decor....

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
DH and I have similar tastes (rustic, comfortable, natural materials/finishes, with funny stuff worked in like old TP ads and a talking Dr. Evil action figure - complete with Mr. Bigglesworth and a bundle of bills marked $1Million), so it's not much of an issue. However, I did have to limit the NASCAR paraphernalia to "The Man Room" and/or the garage. Otherwise, Rusty Wallace would be watching every move I make...

We haven't done much "real" decorating - we just have stuff that we display in the rooms that exist as they did when we bought our houses. We did decide to repaint our bedroom in VA, and DH won that one - HE wanted pink! :eek:

We're going to be doing a major remodel of this house in the future, but we know what we want for the most part already. Now we just have to make it happen.

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
here..it's me. hubby says 'whatever I like...he likes'. it helps that we both love the color green, and we both love country/rustic. he will (when he notices..LOL) often look around and say 'our house is so cozy. it's such a trip, Deb' no..he doesn't do drugs. LOL he just sometimes DOES notice it all..and he loves it. he could care less what curtains I put up...or what rug I buy. he just loves to be cozy...it works for us. :) he loves the homey 'feel'....mostly in our bedroom where I have tons of pillows and fluffy quilts. micro fleece sheets. soft lighting. :) yeah..here it's me, but it's all for him.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I can do whatever I want with any room in the house, as long as I don't touch our bedroom. Which currently looks like a teenage boy lives in it. There is a life-sized cut out of Dale Jr standing at the head of our bed. Soon the one of Dale Sr. on the other side. All his NASCAR stuff is in our bedroom. It's ridiculous. BUT, I love him, so I live with it..........lol.

The rest of the house is Sally Chic, as we call it. Cozy n comfy, but definitely not new.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I make the decorating decisions in our home. DH and I have similar tastes, so it isn't a problem. If DH objected to something, I would probably try to come to a compromise. We both like antiques and primative decor. Oh, I just remembered, we did have a problem once. My husband wanted to put up his mounted bear head and I refused to have it anywhere because of those beady black eyes staring at me. We sort of compromised on that, the bear is in the basement, which is my husband's hunting room.

·
Registered
174 Posts
We have very similar tastes, rustic country, wildlife prints, and darker colors. But it is basically my call. I never ask him about painting, but he knows it won't be hot pink so he could care less.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
My husband and I also have very similar tastes. Our home is decorated in an "early American/Colonial" type of theme. I do all the decorating, but I do try to keep my husband in mind when I do it. I wouldn't want a "girly-girl" bedroom where he would feel something less than comfortable, not that I'm a "girly-girl" anyway. ;)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
We're minimalists. I guess that says it all.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
The entire 25 years we have been married and living here and there while he was in the Air Force, he never said a word. I pretty much had a free hand to do what I wanted... that is until we built our dream house ourselves...now he is into every decorating plan and I have just recently realized we have two totally different styles...lol makes for some interesting discussions... but he still lets me win most of the time.. if he doesn't..then I know it must be important to him so I give in..:)

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
On the times when we have actually done any decorating, we did it together. I did decorate a room as a gift to him once. But other than that we do it together if we do it all. Often with the constraints of rental properties, we have been limited in what we could do. He is FAR more visual than I am and I really appreciate his input, honestly.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Well I've usually handled the decorating, but my DH is VERY particular and insists on sharing in the decisions, LOL (such as colors, etc.). Luckily for us both, we have the exact tastes in art, color preferences, etc.

And out of respect for him, I would never decorate with flowery stuff everywhere (not my taste either), nor would I have dolls, pink rooms, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,001 Posts
When I built this house, my then wife and I agreed on Southwestern/western. Earth tones, knotty pine, in natural stain, that sort of thing. We had agreed on the colors so they stay the same.

Now that i am alone, i've got rid of the southwestern (ugly, green based upholstery) couch and chairs, replaced with leather couchs, coverd a big chair and the dining chairs with tooled leather look vinyl, western art prints, terra cotta bean pot lamps, etc.

I call it cowboy formal.

ED

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I built this house, my then wife and I agreed on Southwestern/western. Earth tones, knotty pine, in natural stain, that sort of thing. We had agreed on the colors so they stay the same.

Now that i am alone, i've got rid of the southwestern (ugly, green based upholstery) couch and chairs, replaced with leather couchs, coverd a big chair and the dining chairs with tooled leather look vinyl, western art prints, terra cotta bean pot lamps, etc.

I call it cowboy formal.

ED
Okay, but if you were to get married again and that wasn't HER style, would you be open to change?

·
If I need a Shelter
21,619 Posts
My idea of decorating is Skulls,Hides,Christmas Lights and few other things.My wife though its taking out a Wall,Window or Whatever.

I kid you not I'm watching T.V. she comes in with Chainsaw.What you going to do? I'm going to take out this wall.:icecream: Need me to move out of the way?

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 53 Posts