Decline of Countryside Magazine

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bstuart29, Dec 30, 2006.

1. bstuart29

bstuart29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone else noticed how Countryside Magazine has changed over the last several years? In my oponion it has gotten away from ways to save money and using what you have on hand. It seems like it is becoming more yuppie type.

Billy

2. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

same thing happened to mother earth news

3. bstuart29

It's not to that degree yet and hopefully it doesn't get there. It seems like since JD Belanger left it has went downhill. It is still the best homesteading magazine out there.

Billy

4. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

It will take a long time for Countryside to become as bad as MEN.

5. bstuart29

Herb very true, the magazine isn't close to what it was back in the 1970's. The founder is even embarrased of it now.

Billy

6. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

We've discussed this here, but I don't know that anyone has come to that conclusion. Why do you say Mr. Belanger is ashamed of it?

7. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

I think alot of us have changed. The stories are about wanting to homestead. Once your their living on the land you need more practical info. The stories become a little to cutesy. They talk about how to raise a single milk goat in the lap of luxury. But you need to manage a herd, with costs in mind. Yes some things are the same but some are very different.

8. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I believe he was referring to John/Jim Shuttleworth, the founder of MEN.

9. Herb

Herb Well-Known Member

I'll second that as well. When I first started reading Countryside (which was only about three years ago), I knew nothing about homesteading. Now that I am learning it and practicing some of it, I am seeking knowledge to more specfic questions.
    We all may be "outgrowing" Countryside.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

No, I beleive he's speaking of TMEN the mother earth news and its founder whose name excapes me J ? S? something he sold out. John Shuttleworth maybe? I was born in 66 but I've read all of the oldies! both tmen and cs&ssj

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Ok, got it... a little dense moment there I guess.

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

and Organic Gardening

13. bstuart29

Yes I was referring to Mother Earth News. Jenn is so correct about Organic Gardening, it has become a disgrace. I have around 80 back issuiesfrom the 70's and early 80's and they are nothing like the modern magazine. The old issuies are so helpful.

Billy

14. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Funny, a friend who I met on this board was here today and we were talking about this very subject. We have both read the magazine since before CS merged with Small Stock Journal. I still find the articles quite the same, but my needs are different and more specific. I still enjoy it, CS Magazine, and do get fresh ideas on occasion and get encouraged to try new things.

MEN and Organic Gardening on the other hand, no longer interest me. The homes etc. featured in MEN are for the very wealthy and Organic Gardening is just a trendy, yuppy type magazine now with very little concrete information usable by a homesteader IMO.

15. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Not saying it is happening to CS but with MEN and OG it seems they turned into cover to cover advertisements .
    Perhaps what CS needs is some of the members here to submit articles , article on your homesteading projects that work, Methods you use in your gardens and why . Ideas for homeschooling classes

16. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Perhaps what CS needs is some of the members here to submit articles , article on your homesteading projects that work, Methods you use in your gardens and why . Ideas for homeschooling classes

Excellent!!!!!!! When this site was run by the magazine it was frequently suggested that if folks didn't like what they were reading.......get busy and write. It is after all a reader written magazine for the most part.

17. pigalena_babe

pigalena_babe New Member

I have old issues of backhome magazine that are helpful in most regards. I agree we (those who would like to see CS become more pratical) should write articles. I would love to read about some of your ideas and projects.

18. bstuart29

Good comments by all. I wasn't to happy when the editors of Countryside got rid of the Contacts section(I think thats what it was called). I made several friends threw there. With it being a reader driven magazine more of us need to speak up plus write some letters and articles.

Billy

19. COSunflower

COSunflower Country Girl Supporter

I agree with PyroDon, we all need to get busy and write some articles ourselves - even if it's only about experiences we've had - good OR bad while homesteading. Countryside really IS a reader written magazine and maybe they are just running out of submitted letters to print! I too miss the Contacts section but if you write a letter or article, you can always allow your email address to be printed too so that people can contact you.

20. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Yeah, but if you submit an article on goats or chickens, where's the guarantee that it won't end up in "Backyard Poultry" or "Dairy Goat Journal"? I went to the Backyard Poultry site, and just a couple of those articles would have really livened up an issue of Countryside and (No More) Small Stock Journal. Personally, though I've been doing this for years, I found it fun to read of the experiences others are having, and I frequently learned a little something along the way. Then they largely stopped doing justice to the Small Stock part of the magazine, and eventually, I dropped my subscription.