decision on pig breeds

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by pjd, Feb 19, 2005.

1. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

I am going to be getting 5 piglets in April. I went today to look at the babies. They are of show pig quality and I really could not tell any one of the sows looked better than the other. My 16 yr old will be raising and breeding these pigs. She wants to be a farm vet and even though the economics are not of keeping a boar for 3 sows, I think the experience will be invaluable. My plan is to give her all the opportunities of raising various animals before I spend the big bucks for vet college.

We have a landrace/blue butt cross gilt already

We have our choice of duroc, hampshire and blue butt.

Which breed would make a better boar?

There are two unrelated hampshire sows, it is possible to have a hamp boar and gilt, there are two blue butts and then one duroc.
    I will also get two barrows for my next January's pork.

Thank you for your opinions, they are invaluable.

Phyllis

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

What's a blue butt?

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

A blue butt is a Hampshire/Yorkshire cross. It gets the name from the blue coloration of his butt- the rest is white, llike a Yorkshire. Blue butts do very well in fairs around here.
    Phyllis, if it were me, I would get a purebred boar. Can you get a hampshire boar and 2 gilts, or Hamp and blue butt gilts? Too bad he doesn't have a Yorkshire. That would give you either a Hamp boar and two York gilts or a York boar and two Hamp gilts. While your daughter is studying , she might as well be producing fair pigs. :) Good luck.

4. pjd

pjd Well-Known Member

Thanks for your post. We talked it over tonight and she is going to get the Hamp boar. Since we are getting the ones they don't want for FFA I am not sure how what gilts will be available. She is going to try to get 2 Hampshire and 2 Blue butt gilts. Next fall she will have to decide which gilts are bred and which are butchered. I may let her breed them all once and then decide. I would not sell them as fair pigs because the man we are buying them from is in that business and we told him these would be for butchering and breeding stock. He is one of our customers for our business. We are going to look into the OKlahoma laws on selling pork, she may be able to raise money for college. My main goal is to provide her experience with as many different animals as possible before She spends her youth and my money pursuing a career in veternary med. So far this year I have purchased seven rabbits, holstein calf, and the five piglets. I am getting ready to order geese and turkeys to go with the chickens and ducks we already have. We finished the goat pen last month and have started looking. I figure a couple of years of these guys and she will decide. I hope she says yes because I love farm animals and I would have my own vet!