Decided not to raise to eat...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by JackieA, May 3, 2005.

1. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

After having my first rabbit since November, decided that raising rabbits in the future to eat isn't going to happen, though I'm not opposed to eating rabbit meat. I now want more rabbits- next ones maybe giant french lops - as pets. My mini-rex is just too fun and enjoying him so much. (Had two dogs at one time for 5 years but that didn't work out but had to put them to sleep/hamsters died not even a year after having them/gold fish died soon after too...get the drift).
    So guess I'll move on to reading about chickens and hopefully not finding them too adorable/fun to eat...Think chickens may be easier to butcher than rabbits anyway.
    JackieA

2. temporary name

temporary name New Member

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Now, I'm usually a very modest person-- dare I say I told ya so? :haha:

I'm glad you're enjoying your little pet! Mine are outside playing right now, and my little Jersey Wooly buck is helping my dad with his billing.

Are you going to breed bunnies? Or you could also start a rescue- always need more of those.

4. JackieA

JackieA Well-Known Member

You told me! And obviously I'm failing at my homesteading living...
    Would just like to have some hopping around the house with their cute little furry tails and hold and love them! Want bigger ones though - so may look into the giant french lops? Didn't think of the rescue - may look into that!
    JackieA

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

:haha:

My hubby has succumbed to the cute factor, too...and the personality factor.

Chickens can be easier. The first time I butchered, I walked through the pen, and grabbed all the cockerals who bit me. :D Made it much easier. After the first time, culling those hundred birds down to the best for breeding was much easier, too.

Have fun with the rabbits.
    Meg