December Auroras - Northern Lights

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Renee, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Renee

Renee Well-Known Member

2. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    I've seen them in Minnesota when I was a kid and once in Eastern Oregon on a cold winter night. Gorgeous!

Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm sending the link to my son.

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I saw them 2 nights ago. Pretty decent, but the best I've ever seen were on halloween '01. They were incredible that night. They were like pictures I've seen from the artic. I could stand facing south and see red and green shooting over my head.

4. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

The northern lights are on my list of things to experience before I die! I'm so envious of those who have.

5. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

I see them pretty often, especially if the night's clear. Where my farm is, the northern lights seem like they're almost on top of us, just a little more to the north.

Sometimes red, mostly green, greenish blue...and dancing, and always changing...and if you stay reeeaaaly still, you can almost hear a whispering, like a soft, almost silk-like swishing sound. I always love to stay up at night, open up my bedroom window wide open (even if it's -20 C out), and stick my head out to listen and watch. It always fascinates me, and always beautiful to watch.

What's even more neat is the Inuit belief that when the northern lights arrive it's a sign that winter is about to arrive, and when spring is close. Sometimes the Lights come at an odd time, mostly in the winter, though I've seen it more than once on a cool summer night.

6. Karin L

Karin L Bovine and Range Nerd

Here's a pic from National Geographic:

[​IMG]

7. Renee

Renee Well-Known Member

Karin, what a beautiful photo and how wonderful it would be to watch the show from the bedroom window! It's got to be one of those experiences that makes a person feel the awesomeness of God.

Minnesota must be a hot spot to see them from the states! I agree with Westwood. I want to see them at least once in my life time.

Blessings, Renee

8. Renee

Renee Well-Known Member

9. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Here in northern PA haven't seem them. Maybe too far south ?? Should I keep looking ?? :rolleyes:

10. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

One night in the late 50's, i awoke thinking the house was on fire--i went outside--to see the entire sky, from horizon to horizon, lit by red/orange flickering flames!! i've never forgotten it, nor have I ever seen this again. it was about 2 am, and since we lived rather isolated then, i've never heard if anyone else saw them.---and this is south Missouri