December 28

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by big rockpile, Dec 28, 2004.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Been working out what I can get out of my Garden in the cold of Winter.We have had one Snow plus around 0 degrees for few days.

Went out in the Garden today.Turnips look rough but still good,as well as Collards.

Cabbage and Cauliflower not doing well.

Carrots and Brussels sprouts are doing very well.

I've been planting Kennebec Potatoes.I dug a bunch last week for Christmas Baskets,all very good and solid.I dug a bunch others put them in Straw put metal over them and coverd with dirt.They are keeping well.But I think they would be just as well maybe putting Straw over the rows.

Oh well just thought I would share.

big rockpile

2. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Oh you bugger! I have a foot and a half of snow on the frozen ground! I'm already chomping at the bit to get gardening again, and have about 4 -5 months to go. I'm so jealous :p

3. henk

henk Well-Known Member

Hey Big Rockpile,

Nice going. You might try Brassica oleracea var. laciniata (dont know the common name in eng) and winter spinach next year too :). Btw dont cover the potato rows with straw in the winter, it helps the pests and diseases to survive.

Henk

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Heck it was back to 70 degrees hjere yesterday, and will be staying that way all week. So I got to tilling yesterday, and then got 4 new rows of turnips, and 2 new rows of collards planted. Need to work on my carrot bed.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

My Grandpa Willy always grew a few collards every winter. He did this back in the depression too. Mom said lots of times all they had to eat was black eyed peas, cornbread and collards. Lots of folks didn't bother to grow the collards and they were sick a lot. Mom said her dad wouldn't let the kids drink from the common cup and bucket at school either. Think he was a pretty smart dad.

BRP, some lettuce would do well in that garden. I always had black seeded simpson to come up first thing in the spring. We could eat on it until it was time to plant the other summer stuff. Then pull all but a few plants to make room for the squash, tomatoes etc. The remaining plants I could cut from for several months. If you keep them cut back hard you can really delay bolting.