Debt free but looking for credit card.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by brownthumb, Oct 16, 2006.

1. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

I am debt free but spend lots of money and I am looking for a new credit card because of getting the perks. I previously had a US Air card but then Capital one had a double miles card with only 15000 points needed to get a free airline ticket. Now they have changed that to 35000 with no double miles for purchases. Is there a good credit card out there for people like me who pay off their balance each month?

2. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Check the Clark Howard website as he's always got good tips for things like that.

3. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

We like getting money back with Discover.

4. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I have friends that charge everything on the discover card and pay it off each month for that same reason.

5. bachelorb

bachelorb Well-Known Member

we use the shell mastercard from citi. 5% off every gas purchase from a shell station. We end up getting about $40 a month back. It also gives 1% back on all purchases inside the convienience store

6. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Don't forget the "GM Mastercard"

- NO annual fee

- 5% of EVERY dollar spent goes towards the purchase of a new GM car.{Up
    to a maximim of $500/yr or $3500 over seven years}.

I love it and will be buying a new car soon.

-Da Fonz

7. Pink_Carnation

Pink_Carnation Well-Known Member

If you have a Fred Meyer or QFC store near you they both have cards now with certificates to use in their store.

8. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I use the GM mastercard also. I hope to buy a new car in a couple of years and if I can take off a couple of thousand that would be great.

9. Macybaby

Macybaby I love South Dakota Supporter

We got a Cabella's card. Hubby reloads, so he can spend plenty there anyway.

We run almost all our stuff through the CC, and pay it off each month. Only thing we don't put on that card is the Menards stuff, but we get a 2% Menards rebate from the Menards card.

The main reason we started this was when we lived in one state and worked in another - had way too many problems with stores accepting our checks, and don't like carrying around a lot of cash.

As long as you can keep the discipline so that you can pay it off each month, it works. Though it is way to easy to put something on the card and not remember it. Love being able to check the balance online throughout the month, helps to keep from getting a larger than expected bill. I pay it online too, so don't worry about mail time or checks getting lost or missapplied.

Cathy

10. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter