Deaths with the same symptoms..... help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by nans31, Feb 20, 2005.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I've had a few deaths lately with the same symptoms and can't figure out what it may be. I was hoping someone with more experience could help me out. It has always been weaned babies, up to 12 weeks old. The first thing I notice is the rabbit puts his head up in the air, pointing nose up and breathes hard. It appears that they aren't getting oxygen. The nasal area gets a blue tinge. From this time to death is very short-- just a few hours.
    I've never had more than one in a litter die this way.
    ~any ideas anyone?

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

What do the other organs look like when you perform a necropsy?
    I'm sure you will find a problem with the lungs but what about the
    other organs?

3. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I've never done a necropsy. I wouldn't even know what to look for. If I can find someone near who does know what to look for during a necropsy I will do that.

Should say there's no discharge from the eyes or nose. They aren't crowded, and there's good ventilation -- well, I consider it good. No diarrhea. They do seem to be very thin compared to litter mates tho.

thanks, nan

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Get a necropsy done if you can--your local vet may be able to do it or he/she can get you in touch with someone who will.

If the now-dead rabbits had trouble getting enough oxygen for a while, that may explain their thinness. Had any of the rabbits in those affected litters shown any other signs of illness prior to the rabbits dying, such as runny noses? How many rabbits were in the litters, and were those litters related to each other (the deaths may have resulted from a genetic cause)? My best guess is pneumonia, but again, check with your veterinarian. Hope you can find out what's wrong!

Hannah

5. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

Rabbitgal, you were right on. It's pneumonia.
    nan