Dearborn sickle bar mower

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by WisJim, Aug 24, 2006.

1. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going to look at a Dearborn (Ford) sickle bar mower to use with my 9N Ford tractor this evening. Anyone have any experience with them, things to check or watch out for, etc.? Any advise will be appreciated. Also, what is the going price on a 6' or 7' 3 point sickle bar mower??

Thanks!

Jim

2. m39fan

m39fan Acres of Blessing Farm

You might try looking on eBay and Tractorhouse.com for ideas on market prices. I've seen a few around our area in the $75-100 range in good usuable shape. Your area may be different, but generally speaking they don't bring much as most prefer to use "bush hogs".

HTH,
    Mike

3. ozarks58

ozarks58 Member

It's likely the cutter bar is pretty well worn out so you plan on fixing it, I had a couple of those once. Never used them as I bought a nicer one. They should sell cheap. I'd just see that the bearings are OK. The cutter bar you can fix with discount stuff from the local farm supply. Guards are cheap for Ford as well as your wear plates and sections. I don't know about the knife head on those. Seems like the ones I had had a steel pitman. There is nothing more adddervating than trying to cut hay with a worn out mower. You can mow weeds ok but when you hit the " dog hair" that's when the trouble starts.