Dealing with chronic pain, without drugs.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by CraftyDiva, Nov 1, 2004.

1. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Borrowed from another forum.................

"My friend was listening to a talk radio show the other day about a type of pain management. The short version is to stand pidgeon toed (at least a 90 degree angle or more) while standing very straight and tall with shoulders back where they should be. This forces your hips into alignment where they should be which directly affects everthing else, back, hips, elbows, wrist, shoulders, knees, HEADACHES, etc... My friend tried this and with in a minute, his wrist quit hurting and his back pain is disapating. I tried it and my elbow that has been hurting since mid August is starting to heal and my wrist is not as bad. I do this stance everytime I'm standing for a few minutes or several minutes. Like I said, this is the short version, if it fixes a pain for you completely, thats great, but if it lessens the pain, there are further excercises to do for specific problems. There is a book out called Pain Free by Pete Egoscue. My friend got it from the library after hearing the talk show and we just ordered a copy from amazon- ebay has several up for auction as well. Try this for whatever your problem might be and report back here please. I'm really curious what the results are. I have another friend that tried this the same time I did and the pain in her feet lessened substantially (she's fighting with orthodics). Let us know what happens and tells us how long it took."

Check the Pain site out.................
    http://www.egoscue.com/htdocs/index.asp

2. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

This doesn't surprise me at all. I do yoga for hip bursitis and it makes all the difference in the world. Sometimes, I get so busy that I can't do the yoga and yikes! :no: Everything will start hurting. :no: At one point a year ago, the hip bursitis was leading to my lower back going out (had to do with how I was holding myself to protect myself from pain) --- but stretches and anything that aligns really do make a huge difference!

3. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

Big HUGZ to you!
    It worked!
    My neck (which bothers me ALL the time) quit aching a couple minutes after I did this. Don't know how long it will last, but anything is an improvement!
    Thanks!
    Anne

4. doc623

doc623 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I am having trouble picturing standing pigeon toed at atleast 90 degrees of more. Can't get a visual. Could you elaborate or explain more please.
    Thanks

5. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I can't see it, either. Can't DO it. Isn't 90 degrees where your toes would be touching each other and your heels horizontal. Heck, can't even DESCRIBE what I'm picturing!!! Sort of like:

(heel) ----- (toe) (toe) ---- (heel)

On the other hand, talking about exercising...... before I was married, I was a bellydancer. A couple years after my marriage I started having back pain and was diagnosed with one hip being higher than the other from a previous untreated fracture. I started dancing again and the pain went away.... just needed to keep all those joints and muscles limbered up. I don't dance anymore, but I keep active and haven't had back pains since (nearly 15 years now).

6. CraftyDiva

From what I understand, doing this once a day will keep the pain from returning. Or if that's too much, when you first start to feel the pain coming on.

7. CraftyDiva

There are different degrees of exercise for everyone. When starting any exercise program you should start out slow and don't over tax your body.

With this in mind, I'd say point your toes as far as you can to start, continuing to do this you'll become more limber and be able to get as close as you can to the desired angle. Then again you may never reach that goal, but will be able to get some relief with the angle you can handle.

8. CraftyDiva

If I'm not mistaken, the above example would be 180 degrees not 90.

9. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

No---it would be 90%.
    180% would be pointing your toes staight backward....behind you.

I think 45% would e a good goal.

10. OD

OD Well-Known Member

Hey, this really works!!! It helped my shoulder more than $800 worth of physical therapy has. DH said it made his tennis elbow feel better, too.

11. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'd say point your toes as far as you can to start

I always though pigeon toed meant that your toes pointed toward each other more than they should, causing the heels to point outward. Are you talking about pointing your two big toes toward each other or pointing your heels together and pointing the toes outward. I can't get a visual, either. :eek:

12. CraftyDiva

Toes in, heels out, like a V.

13. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Just Thinking about doing this sends my rheumatoid arthritis ridden joints into a tizzy! :no: I think I'm perfectly content with my chronic pain just the way it is, and have no intention of of increasing it! :haha:
    I'm not sure how it would work on headaches, but this one is not for me!

Meg :)

14. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

The single best thing I've done is taking a calcium mineral supplement daily. Has done wonders for me. I used to walk and exercise daily, but had got to the point that my hip joints just wouldn't allow that any longer. Our local park has an indoor Olympic pool and has a program for old people like me to exercise in water, but I have yet to take advantage of this. I tried the pigeon toe thing and it just makes my hip joints hurt more. :(

15. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

Do you lock your knees?

I read all the reviews on the book on Amazon.com. It looks like a lot of people have found relief with his methods. Sounds very interesting.
    Peg

16. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Ahhhhhh!!!!

I figured it out! When it says 90 degree angle, I think it means 90 degrees to each other!! Which would be about a 45 degree angle from straight. That makes MUCH more sense!

Now, I almost wish I had some pain I could try it out on!!!

Nah, not really. I count my blessing every day!

17. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Isn't this idea kind of what chiropractors do? properly align the body???? I haven't ever been to a chiropractor but I've read some about them.

18. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a chirporactor two to three times a week right now. It's mind boggling the kind of relief you can get from a 2 minute session of crunching and grunting. I went from barely being able to get off the couch to feeling just about normal in about 6 weeks, with more relief every time I went. I have a couple more weeks of intensive treatment and then I'll be seeing him (probably for life) once every week or two to maintain it.

19. hankzzz

hankzzz Member

Well, the pigeon-toed stance works as I aligned my feet along the 90 degree intersection of a floor tile. It helps my lower back muscles. I'm not sure about my muscle pain in my arm from a neck injury. For a short period of time, yes it seems so. I'll have to read up on this for sure. :eek:

Oh, yeah, I'm a 50 year old man and not terribly flexible.

20. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I talked to the chiro. about this last night, curious about the rationale of it. He looked at the stance, looked at how it aligned the spine, and agreed that it could be helpful to people who routinely extend their "backside" outward when fatigued and on their feet all day. He said the stance could relax the piriformis muscle, which is a band of muscle that crosses the lower pelvis. If that's tight, it would cause sciatic pain and lower back problems, which over time would cause a misalignment of the spine higher up and cause some of the complaints that some people here had mentioned. He did say that chiropractic adjustments would solve those problems on a more permanent basis with maintenance, and I tend to agree. But I'll be using the stance on and off when I'm on my feet working, as it does bring some immediate, albeit temporary relief.