Deadly water barrel?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Rowdy, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

Okay, I guy I've known almost all my life is trying to sell me some water barrels. White plastic 55 gallon barrels.

He said they had phosphoric acid in them, that it is used both in soft drinks and in wine making (something to do in the oak barrels maybe?) and that his barrels have been cleaned, are very safe, yada, yada, yada.

Since any I buy might be used for livestock water I want to be quite sure that they are safe, though I have always trusted this person.

Any thoughts?

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

I would use the barrels for animal water without concern.

From Wikipedia (often a good place to start with any question) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphoric_acid

Processed food use

It is also used to acidify foods and beverages such as various colas, but not without controversy as to its health effects. It provides a tangy taste, and being an agro-industrial chemical, is available cheaply and in large quantities. The low cost and bulk availability is unlike more expensive natural seasonings that give comparable flavors, such as ginger for tangyness, or citric acid for sourness, obtainable from lemons and limes.

Biological effects on bone calcium

Phosphoric acid, used in many soft drinks (primarily so in cola drinks, such as the U.S. market dominating Coca Cola and Pepsi Cola), has become suspect in the increase of the bone deficiency disease osteoporosis in young women.[citation needed] Traditionally, osteoporosis (literally "porous bones") has been seen mostly in post-menopausal women, particularly those who did not build high bone density in youth, typically due to insufficient calcium intake. An excess of phosphorus may lead to poor bone density, however. Nutritionists point out that the body will attempt to maintain a balance between ions of phosphorus and calcium in the blood. When an excess of phosphorus (through phosphoric acid, for example) is introduced, the body's chemical balance mechanisms will attempt to maintain the proper calcium-phosphorus ionic ratio by extracting calcium from the bones. The excess phosphorus and calcium are eventually excreted.[citation needed] Other chemicals such as caffeine (also a significant component of popular common cola drinks) are also suspected as possible contributors to low bone density, which is now seen in increasing prevalence in men of late middle age.[citation needed].

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

If the barrels are food grade barrels I would use them. If they are industrial grade I would not use them as they can leach chemicals into the water.

4. Arklady

Arklady Well-Known Member

Soda is the best thing for neutralizing acids... Just wash the hell out of it when you get home and then it should be ok!

:)

Arklady

5. Rowdy

Rowdy Well-Known Member

How would I tell between the two?

and thanks for the advice everyone!