Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Ranting: As a mom of a child that has been raised without the court ordered child support, I was really excited to see the government monitoring passports. People that owe child support can't get one until they pay up!! He's hiding somewhere...I hope they find him for back taxes AND all the $$ he owes me! Praise God I married a wonderful man that has provided for all our needs over the years.
OK I'm done.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
Only if said deadbeat owes $2500 or more. IMHO, the government could have been doing something of this sort a long time ago. Most people need some type of license. Until people quit urinating and moaning about 'welfare and other entitlements' and accept reasonable regulation and rules (and not all rules and regs are "onerous", they might decrease exec pay a wee bit though), we'll have this problem. Soon very rich deadbeats will figure out a way around the passport issue.

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
Does that mean that my bio-father who left my Mother with three children to raise by herself and is still on the lamb since 1968 and owes who knows how much could still get caught?? I have to assume there is a statute of limitations thing on child support, we are all fine and very well raised, thought it was tough, so I don't really care just curious.

Margie

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
NWoods_Hippie said:
Does that mean that my bio-father who left my Mother with three children to raise by herself and is still on the lamb since 1968 and owes who knows how much could still get caught?? I have to assume there is a statute of limitations thing on child support, we are all fine and very well raised, thought it was tough, so I don't really care just curious.

Margie
There should be no statute of limitation,s she should get a chunk of cash to enjoy her later years, that is my opinion.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
NWoods_Hippie said:

Margie
Chances are that your mom won't see any money. Most of the time support orders before the mid 1980's weren't monitored by the courts. They left it up to the payor to do the right thing and didn't keep track of how much was paid and how much was owed. Now if there are court records showing how much outstanding support he owes your mom can go back to court to say she still wants that money. She won't need a lawyer to do this but she should start in the county where the papers were filed and recorded.

·
Registered
10,229 Posts
my children's father will be paying child support well into my retirement years ... that is if he ever gets a job that isn't for cash.

That's alright - I can sleep at night.

·
Zone 7B
2,481 Posts
MullersLaneFarm said:
my children's father will be paying child support well into my retirement years ... that is if he ever gets a job that isn't for cash.

DITTO!!

·
mean people suck
2,533 Posts
The passport thing would be great if your ex is some kind of globetrotting deadbeat. I would venture to guess most aren't...seems like they should use something more universal like driver's licenses, etc.

·
Registered
640 Posts
My bio father gave up parental rights and was supposed to pay child support but never did - and never held a job long enough for the gov't to garnish wages. But my mom didn't mind and never bothered with it - she just wanted him out of her life and ours, and married my Dad. I'm glad she did or I'd be one messed-up individual! My Dad is literally a gift from God.

·
proud to be pro-choice
2,692 Posts
MullersLaneFarm said:

You have an insurable interest. You should be able to make a claim on his estate when he dies and of course you will get your fair share if he wins the lottery or get another windfall. Hmm, wonder if he inherits money if you can go after what is owed?

·
Banned
3,368 Posts
StaceyS said:
Driver's license wouldn't work because then they'd use the excuse that they couldn't drive to work to make the money...
Here in NY they suspend drivers licenses, professional licenses and hunting licenses now for non-payment. They started doing it at least a few years ago (maybe longer?) I guess they figure if you aren't supporting your kids, you don't deserve a job?

Michelle

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.