Dead tooth?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FeralFemale, Jul 28, 2006.

1. FeralFemale

FeralFemale Bitter Clinger

I have fairly heathy teeth. 34 years old and only one filling. A couple of months ago, my filling felt like a bit came out (it has happened before and I got it fixed so I know what it feels like) It didn't hurt much and it was only a tiny, tiny bit of filling and I was very busy so I thought I'd wait. Now, it doesn't hurt at all anymore. I can tell something is not right. I can't 'feel' my tooth when I touch it and it has a strange, rough texture not like my other teeth. The only thing I could think of to describe it is that my tooth feels dead. I googled 'dead tooth' and it is a real thing and I am scared. What am I in for?

I am kind of embarassed, too. I have always taken care of my teeth and only have the one filling from when I was a kid and I didn't let it go that long that the tooth should up and die on me! *pouts*

2. mtc

mtc Well-Known Member

Depends. I've had a dead tooth for decades and it doesn't cause me one bit of angst except for when a new dentist notices it and immediately tries to schedule a root canal. Now, the reason they want to schedule a root canal is because the bits of root that are left can abscess and cause major serious pain and trauma. I'd get it looked at and have it evaluated.

3. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

I have a tooth that died and you had better get into a dentist pronto. If not attended to it will break apart. (The back side of the tooth turned a pinkish color.) The tooth was drilled out and filled with epoxy to keep it from breaking but the tooth is on borrowed time as it will eventually break. It is one of my smiley teeth and the cost for an implant is $4000.00. Once the tooth was filled with epoxy it turned "blackish" which to me is nasty looking but for now it is better than a hole.

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey Jukebox, don't take this the wrong way, but I know a real good dentist (he's a deacon at our church) and there is no way you should be stuck with "blackish" epoxy. My dentist can match almost any color of your teeth and no one would know.

Find a different dentist if yours says it can't be done.

Just my .02

5. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

DW had a molar that broke years ago and finally started bothering her.

She decided to have it pulled since she read some of the possible negatives of root canals, i.e. cost (we don't have dental insurance), they don't always work (check to see if your dentist guarantees his work), infection, etc. (you can Google it for more details).

The dentist wanted to do a root canal since he said it was a shame to pull a good tooth that could be saved with a root canal.

DW asked the price and he told her about $1300. It cost $116 to have it pulled.

Funny thing is DW handles pain well, except for dental pain. She prayed that if the extraction did not hurt at all, she would give up drinking soda for life. Guess what? NO PAIN!

She then asked me to stop, which I did and haven't touched a drop for months and months. I used to drink 1-2 sodas a day.

6. jukebox

jukebox Well-Known Member

Zeal Youth Guy

Thank you for the helpfull suggestion.

Wife uses a different dentist than I do and she is going to quiz him on my situation, next week.

Thanx again