Dead Rabbit

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by dcdalton, Apr 21, 2006.

1. dcdalton

dcdalton Active Member

My daughter's pet rabbit just died. She checked it this morning and it seemed to be okay, we left for a couple of hours and when we got back it was dead. She bought it less than 24 hours ago. I check it over for signs of injury but didn't find any. Her back end was covered with what looked like diarrhea. It was black and thick. Her cage is right up against the house and the weather was not extremely hot or cold. Does anyone have any idea of what might have caused this? I want to make sure it doesn't happen to her next one.

2. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

Did the rabbit have the icky butt when she bought it? If so it was already very sick and was probably beyond help.

Here is a link to rabbit digestive diseases, it may help;
    http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

Sterilize the cage you had this rabbit in and bleach or dispose of the food and water dishes. Wait at least a week before getting another just in case it was something contagious.

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Sorry to hear about the bunny...your poor little girl! Unfortunately, the stress of a bunny going to a new home can sometimes cause serious problems, especially if it was a young animal. Their digestive sytem is dependent on bacteria rather than stomach acid, so if they get stressed out and the balance of good and bad bacteria is messed up, the bad bacteria will often multiply and cause diarrhea. Sometimes this can kill the bunny.

Ok, first question: any idea how old the bunny was when you got it? What did you feed it? Did you get it from a pet shop/feed store or a private individual? Did you see ANY signs of "looseness" when you got it? (A healthy rabbit has a spotless rear end.) When you got it, did you notice any other sick rabbits?

Ditto the thorough cleaning...scrub the cage and equipment down and either use a chemical sterilizer like bleach or leave it out in the sun. And I also think you should go back to where you got it and ask for a refund/replacement. Doesn't hurt to take the body to the vet and get a signed statement either. A responsible individual will want to make it right.

4. dcdalton

dcdalton Active Member

We got the rabbit from a farm store. It was fairly young. We didn't notice anything wrong with it at the time. I did notice that it seemed a little lethargic but I attributed that to the stress. We fed a commerical rabbit feed. I think that covers all of the questions. I'll check out the website that you posted and see what they have to say. Thanks for the responses.

5. dcdalton

dcdalton Active Member

After reading through the page that Danaus29 posted it sounds like it may have been enteritus. I can't be sure but the description seems to fit.