Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Had one of my 2 hives not survive the winter. There’s still capped honeycomb in the supers. Bottom super honeycomb is a bit tore up. Can I take out the bad frames and just reintroduce bees? Nothing stood out like mites or ants for my inspection. Just dead bees.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You really should try to determine what killed the old hive before you introduce new bees. It could be a virus, or fermented honey, lots of things.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

So. I dug into the dead hive today and a few things stood out.

1st - I left the queen excluder on. All the remaining capped and uncapped honey frames were above this. Will this prevent the bees from going up and bringing it back? There was one whole 8-frame medium body w honey in it, but on the very top of the hive.

2nd - it seems like they starved (maybe due to #1. There was only pollen in the frames/bodies below the queen excluder. There were a few bees barely alive today. All the dead bees were huddled around the remaining brood. Brood looked normal. It had been unusually cold the past 2 weeks.

3rd - All the comb in the bottom hive body looked moldy. It may have also been an older set of frames. Still, it was unusual.

I have pics of everything.

Thanks for your input and thoughts!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thanks!

So. I dug into the dead hive today and a few things stood out.

1st - I left the queen excluder on. All the remaining capped and uncapped honey frames were above this. Will this prevent the bees from going up and bringing it back? There was one whole 8-frame medium body w honey in it, but on the very top of the hive.

2nd - it seems like they starved (maybe due to #1. There was only pollen in the frames/bodies below the queen excluder. There were a few bees barely alive today. All the dead bees were huddled around the remaining brood. Brood looked normal. It had been unusually cold the past 2 weeks.

3rd - All the comb in the bottom hive body looked moldy. It may have also been an older set of frames. Still, it was unusual.

I have pics of everything.

Thanks for your input and thoughts!
The cluster tends to move as a mass, so if the queen can not move up to where the food is the workers will stay with her. The queen needs to be kept warm all winter long. I would never winter over with a queen excluder in place. We winter over in a two deep hive. We try to make sure the queen is starting out in the bottom box with the top box full and I mean full of stores. We add winter pollen patties and dry feed all winter long. If the bees take the feed, then they need it, otherwise they just draw on their stores.

Reactions: siberian1

·
Registered
35 Posts
The cluster tends to move as a mass, so if the queen can not move up to where the food is the workers will stay with her. The queen needs to be kept warm all winter long. I would never winter over with a queen excluder in place. We winter over in a two deep hive. We try to make sure the queen is starting out in the bottom box with the top box full and I mean full of stores. We add winter pollen patties and dry feed all winter long. If the bees take the feed, then they need it, otherwise they just draw on their stores.

My money would be with you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts