Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much about goats but my son and dil have 8 goats he found two dead yesterday. They have excellent fences, good food and shelter and have always veted and kept up on their goats needs. What would cause two Nubians one 10 year old female the was retired a year ago and a 4 year old male that they purchased because he was a runt but has thrived.. They showed no problems or any indication of problems. When he found them in the middle of the day they had both just died within an hour of each other... What could have happened, any ideas or suggestions, the 6 remaining so far are just fine and the bucks in another pasture and ok so far.. they had good hay and grain also a mineral block... Just looking for answers..

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Take temperatures and check eye kids of those remaining. Watch how they walk and note any odd thing about how they move or act.

When I first got back into goats (had them when I was a kid for a short time) my vet told me that because they are prey animals, they will act fine often when sick. The way she put it was "I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm ok, I'm dead!" Scary

I've heard on here about cherry trees; the leaves when dying are poisonous.

Sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I'd start with looking very close at what they were fed recently. Also, check fecals. Even if dewormed on a regular basis - worms rarely do what we want them to do.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Good advice all around IMO. It does sound like they ate something really bad that took them down really fast. Sorry for the loss.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
Any access to rhodies?
Yes I agree with the others, check temps get fecals how are eyelids?
On side note they are better off with loose minerals made for goats.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Check for any cherry trees in the area. The leaves are poisonous and contain cyanide when wilting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
When I first got back into goats (had them when I was a kid for a short time) my vet told me that because they are prey animals, they will act fine often when sick. The way she put it was "I'm fine, I'm fine, I'm ok, I'm dead!" Scary
I don't believe that. I've never had a sick goat who didn't show signs of something being wrong - even if the only outward sign was in her eyes and/or general demeanor. It is the responsibility of the owner to know how each goat behaves under normal circumstances, be able to identify when something is wrong, and treat accordingly.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't believe that. I've never had a sick goat who didn't show signs of something being wrong - even if the only outward sign was in her eyes and/or general demeanor. It is the responsibility of the owner to know how each goat behaves under normal circumstances, be able to identify when something is wrong, and treat accordingly.
That is so true. You just have to watch carefully sometimes. :hrm: to whatever vet said that. Vigilance is the key -- but not overprotectiveness either. Happy medium. :smack I'm not making much sense, am I? :D

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We have come to the conclusion that their little boy fed them some cherry leaves, he doesn't understand what he did these two were the friendliest and always ran to him when every he came to the fence, he was giving them some plum branches and apple, the cherry is wild and in a field the other side of the house and on the property line with the neighbors, he knows now to never give the goats food without asking.. Learned a big lesson..

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I feel terribly sorry for the goats, but also very sorry for the little boy. My son, at two, was holding a chick. He squeezed too tight. Then said mommy, I broked it...and burst into tears. Now every time he even goes to pet an animal he says to it, I'll be gentle...and barely touches it. I'll bet the boy will always remember this...

·
Registered
299 Posts
We have come to the conclusion that their little boy fed them some cherry leaves, he doesn't understand what he did these two were the friendliest and always ran to him when every he came to the fence, he was giving them some plum branches and apple, the cherry is wild and in a field the other side of the house and on the property line with the neighbors, he knows now to never give the goats food without asking.. Learned a big lesson..
Oh wow, that would sure do it! Bless the little guys heart - he thought he was doing a good thing, and just wasn't old enough to understand. :( Handymama, what a terrible experience that must have been for your son! I am so sorry that it happened to him. The little guys are the most enamored with the babies, and they are just too young to understand so many things. :(

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I don't know who cried harder, me or him. He was so excited at first and then so heartbroken. Now when we have any babies he tells me to hold them and he pets them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts